Is the Abbeville Institute a Reliable Source for Information Related to the Civil War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

John Fenton

Sergeant
And another thing, i find plenty of fault with the north. Their black laws were horrible. I do not make excuses for those faults. However the north had abolished slavery and were making continuous strides toward equality while the south doubled down on their inhuman institution.

Andersonh1

Major
What would you teach us ? That he fought for the US which gained new lands for the south to expand slavery ? Then took up arms against that country ?
I think his hunting journals are likely to be an an interesting 19th century slice of life. It's not all about the big ideas and society in general. Often history is interesting when we see how someone lived.

Last edited:

Andersonh1

Major
And you , overlooking or making excuses for those faults, are ? I did not invent the faults, South Carolina threw them in our face and claimed it was a good thing , including Gregg.
I didn't excuse any faults, or drag slavery into the discussion. I just pointed out an interesting "slice of life" book review when asked what kind of Southern history I enjoyed seeing at the Abbeville Institute. You probably won't get any life lessons from it, but certainly some knowledge about how past generations lived is worth exploring.

Last edited:

John Fenton

Sergeant
what kind of Southern history I enjoyed seeing at the Abbeville Institute.
The op asks if the abbeville institute is a good source of info on the civil war. I said no. You replied to my statement that the AI helps promulgate racism, not slavery.
you asked for and example. I gave two. There many more, not overt but subtle but there none the less. They avoid talking about the inhuman nature of slavery and it’s linkage to “southern tradition” but many are very outspoken leaving no doubt what their stance or position is.
let me say here that i like Paula Dean but i think she is stereotypical of how southerners see or imagine the southern tradition is. And even on a cooking show southern slavery managed to seep in. Her aromas from the oven may smell delicious but there is no light in her refrigerator . That’s where the decoder glasses come in . the show producers should get some.
now you say it’s all about huntin’ and fishin’ . Fine if that‘s what you claim you learn there , have at it. However i would not say that huntin’ and fishin’ is a “southern” tradition, rather it is a national tradition and i have hunters in my family in the north and the west.

Andersonh1

Major
Not what I said, but I don't think we're communicating here. Suffice it to say, there's more to Southern history than slavery, and it's nice to see those numerous other aspects explored at Abbeville.

John Fenton

Sergeant
Suffice it to say, there's more to Southern history than slavery, and it's nice to see those numerous other aspects explored at Abbeville.
That does not answer the op. They are biased and not a good source of info on the civil war. I was not discussing random southern individuals when you replied. Your post about Gregg had nothing to do with the op So I’m still waiting for the example. The question i asked is what is great about southern tradition. What is it even ? How is it different from northern or national tradition? What makes southern history unique ? What makes southern history benevolent or ordained?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Not what I said, but I don't think we're communicating here. Suffice it to say, there's more to Southern history than slavery, and it's nice to see those numerous other aspects explored at Abbeville.
That's the problem, trying to lump all of Southern history into the four, short, years of Confederate history.