Is the Abbeville Institute a Reliable Source for Information Related to the Civil War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Oh well you know what they say about opinions....yours is noted sir. :wink:
@C.W. Roden ,

Just sayin', Carl, anyone who buys what the Institute is selling isn't buying history, real, history.

They're buying a "wish-I-may-I-wish-I-might" fantasy with the hope no one reads actual history.

They're entitled to their opinions, too.

It's just that there is no obligation to believe those opinions as historical fact.

Until our next post.

Unionblue

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
@C.W. Roden ,

Just sayin', Carl, anyone who buys what the Institute is selling isn't buying history, real, history.

They're buying a "wish-I-may-I-wish-I-might" fantasy with the hope no one reads actual history.

They're entitled to their opinions, too.

It's just that there is no obligation to believe those opinions as historical fact.

Until our next post.

Unionblue
Oh I getcha, fella. I don't take any single source with more than a grain of salt. Anyone who does isn't looking to be all that objective -- er, in my humble opinion, of course. I merely point out that (again, in my humble opinion) the Abbeville Institute as a source of information is so-so, depends on who is writing what. The fact that many of their sources come from the LotS is largely a turn-off for this simple, small-town country writer. Not a huge fan of what they try to sell, and the feeling from many of those folks towards yours truly is more than mutual. Once a month, or so, they turn out something that I can read that is worth a **** -- which is more than I can for certain, uh, "historians" (sic). :wink:
Anyhow, like you I agree that opinion and historical fact are not mutually exclusive.

Till next time sir. ~Carl R.

John Fenton

Sergeant
Those are bad rebels! Imagine it - promoting their own culture. Outrageous!
The league of the south promotes an independent confederation of southern states based on a tier structured social order of masters and subservients with elite whites at the top .
both Clyde Wilson and Donald Livingston were founding members but Livingston left to form a new outlet [the abbeville institute] for the authors since the league was labeled a hate group. Wilson is still a member as are other abbeville institute authors. They are careful to use terms like “southern tradition” to avoid terms like “ white supremacy “. They examine their culture under a “white” light.
the abbeville institute is the “league of the south ” in new clothes.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
The league of the south promotes an independent confederation of southern states based on a tier structured social order of masters and subservients with elite whites at the top .
Did they promote that when the organization was founded?

My understanding was that those who remained took it in a more radical direction than its original purpose.

Last edited:

C.W. Roden

My understanding was that those who remained took it in a more radical direction than its original purpose.
That's putting it mildly. They have been completely taken over by extremist racial identity Alt-Right nuts.
That's why I am not a huge fan of the LotS. I still know people who are members and remain friends with them on facebook (not to mention a few anti-Confederate heritage folks), but that's more to less to keep an eye on what they are collectively up to.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
both Clyde Wilson and Donald Livingston were founding members but Livingston left to form a new outlet [the abbeville institute] for the authors since the league was labeled a hate group. Wilson is still a member as are other abbeville institute authors. They are careful to use terms like “southern tradition” to avoid terms like “ white supremacy “. They examine their culture under a “white” light.
The Los has became more radicalised as those who would destroy every vestige of Confederate have done so. But, this sounds like something from the money grubbers at the toxic world of the Southern Poverty Law Center. There is nothing poverty stricken about these folks.
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/17/713887174/after-allegations-of-toxic-culture-southern-poverty-law-center-tries-to-move-for
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/08/17/southern-poverty-law-center-hate-groups-scam-column/2022301001/
Then again, it could have come frome the squirrely world of Edward Sebesta.

John Fenton

Sergeant

That's putting it mildly. They have been completely taken over by extremist racial identity Alt-Right nuts.
Clyde Wilson is still a member and the league’s mission has not changed. Livingston created a new forum with softer, coded language because of the hate group label.

From the LotS FAQ page.
Q. What is The League of the South?
A. A Southern Nationalist organization
Q. What is Southern Nationalism?
A. A movement to promote the survival, well being, and independence of the Southern People
Q. Who are the Southern People?
A. Southerners of European descent who are committed to preserving the traditional culture of the South
Q. What is the traditional culture of the South?
A. European, mainly Anglo-Celtic and Christian, folkways that are peculiar to our region and are rooted in a firm belief in a kith & kin nation
Q. What is a kith & kin nation?
A. A particular people with a distinct culture living on their own established territory
Q. What do you mean by Anglo-Celtic?
A. People whose ancestors came from the British Isles
Q. Is The League of the South a Christian organization?
A. While most of our members are Christian, there is no religious affiliation required to be a member
Q. Is The League a “racist” organization?
A. “Racist” is a slur used by anti-Whites. We are pro-South and pro-White.
Q. Is The League a “hate group?”
A. We are a “love” group. We love our People and the South.

from the LotS core belief page
Is structured upon the Biblical notion of hierarchy. In short, a recognition of the natural societal order of superiors and subordinates where Christian charity (as found in the second Table of the Law) toward our neighbors produces harmony and stability. Christ is the head of His Church; husbands are the heads of their families; parents are placed over their children; employers rank above their employees; the teacher is superior to his students, etc.

they simply avoid saying white is superior to black [ they use “etc.” ] but have said as much in the statements in the FAQ section. Southerness is reserved for Anglo-Celtic dependents. They are playing a shell game and the abbeville institute echos their tenants in a diminished way tp avoid being labeled a hate group.

Christian charity (as found in the second Table of the Law) toward our neighbors produces harmony and stability. If that charity were evenly applied to all neighbors, not just Anglo-Celtic southern ones, it would go a long way toward “harmony and stability”.

C.W. Roden

Clyde Wilson is still a member and the league’s mission has not changed. Livingston created a new forum with softer, coded language because of the hate group label.

From the LotS FAQ page.
Q. What is The League of the South?
A. A Southern Nationalist organization
Q. What is Southern Nationalism?
A. A movement to promote the survival, well being, and independence of the Southern People
Q. Who are the Southern People?
A. Southerners of European descent who are committed to preserving the traditional culture of the South
Q. What is the traditional culture of the South?
A. European, mainly Anglo-Celtic and Christian, folkways that are peculiar to our region and are rooted in a firm belief in a kith & kin nation
Q. What is a kith & kin nation?
A. A particular people with a distinct culture living on their own established territory
Q. What do you mean by Anglo-Celtic?
A. People whose ancestors came from the British Isles
Q. Is The League of the South a Christian organization?
A. While most of our members are Christian, there is no religious affiliation required to be a member
Q. Is The League a “racist” organization?
A. “Racist” is a slur used by anti-Whites. We are pro-South and pro-White.
Q. Is The League a “hate group?”
A. We are a “love” group. We love our People and the South.

from the LotS core belief page
Is structured upon the Biblical notion of hierarchy. In short, a recognition of the natural societal order of superiors and subordinates where Christian charity (as found in the second Table of the Law) toward our neighbors produces harmony and stability. Christ is the head of His Church; husbands are the heads of their families; parents are placed over their children; employers rank above their employees; the teacher is superior to his students, etc.

they simply avoid saying white is superior to black [ they use “etc.” ] but have said as much in the statements in the FAQ section. Southerness is reserved for Anglo-Celtic dependents. They are playing a shell game and the abbeville institute echos their tenants in a diminished way tp avoid being labeled a hate group.

Christian charity (as found in the second Table of the Law) toward our neighbors produces harmony and stability. If that charity were evenly applied to all neighbors, not just Anglo-Celtic southern ones, it would go a long way toward “harmony and stability”.
Agreed. Hence why I don't approve of them, or what they profess to believe.
For more on what I believe on this subject please check out the following article from my blog site:

Thank you and God Bless.

John Fenton

Sergeant
No argument there.
Jessica prol smith , who wrote one of the articles linked above is a member of the alliance defending freedom and is it’s self a lbgt hate group.
they would limit freedom to their perspective of what freedom is and hate what does not fit into their perspective of what religion and freedom are. They only defend their freedom, as they see it , and hate those who use freedom contrary to that perspective.
the OP asks about the abbeville institute’s reliability, not the southern poverty law center’s.

SouthernFriedOtaku

Retired User
Jessica prol smith , who wrote one of the articles linked above is a member of the alliance defending freedom and is it’s self a lbgt hate group.
they would limit freedom to their perspective of what freedom is and hate what does not fit into their perspective of what religion and freedom are. They only defend their freedom, as they see it , and hate those who use freedom contrary to that perspective.
the OP asks about the abbeville institute’s reliability, not the southern poverty law center’s.
I believe it is the SPLC being a hate group that he referred to.

Horrido67

Private
You didn't list a source for your propaganda, but The League longs for political independence from the Cultural Marxism and perversity of Modern America.
Definitely a handwringer for the Yankee TOV devotee and cultural Marxist propagandist.
Could you kindly define what does "Cultural Marxism and perversity of Modern America" mean? One thing I admire about the Confederates is that they were not ashamed of their pro-slavery causes and they openly stated them in speeches and writings. They honestly thought slavery was positive good and their liberties of holding human beings in chattel slavery were threatened by 'Black Republicans.' I expect the same kind of honesty and integrity from Pro-Confederate members as well as Pro-Union members.

Last edited:

CWH1234

Private
Forum Host
Could you define what does "Cultural Marxism and perversity of Modern America" mean? One thing I admire about the Confederates that they were not ashamed of their pro-slavery causes and they openly stated them in speeches and writings . They honestly thought slavery was positive good.
I Agree, to be honest, I believed that the confederates wanted to be separated from the union because the wealth of the slave-owners has, they can loose all their money and wealth because of the banishment of slavery.

Horrido67

Private
I Agree, to be honest, I believed that the confederates wanted to be separated from the union because the wealth of the slave-owners has, they can loose all their money and wealth because of the banishment of slavery.
Agreed. I think there is nothing wrong with having a slave-owner as an ancestor and no one should apologize for being from slave-owning families. I think It was a different time and people on the both sides fought for what they thought was right thing to do. However, I have a problem with organizations like the Abbeville institute which denies the centrality of the issue of slavery to promote their political agenda when there is an abundance of evidence and Confederates themselves were quite open about the issue of slavery.

Last edited:

JonnyReb_In_MI

Corporal
I'm no fan of the LotS, but I do like some of what gets published by the Abbeville Institute, depending on the author of any particular piece.

I've found no white supremacist language in the works published by the AI that I've read, but then again I don't have the Super Secret Yankee decoder ring like our friend above that apparently allows him to find white supremacist language hidden within plainly written English.

Andersonh1

Major
I've found no white supremacist language in the works published by the AI that I've read, but then again I don't have the Super Secret Yankee decoder ring like our friend above that apparently allows him to find white supremacist language hidden within plainly written English.
Yeah, I need one of those decoder rings myself.

Abbeville doesn't just take on the Civil War, they discuss all things Southern, from before the founding to the present day. I find it refreshing that such an institute exists, and that it publishes regularly. There's the blog, and then there is the more credentialed side of the organization as well. Where else can you find articles on Southern music, Southern literature, or just musings about how the South is changing? You could spend hours reading the blog alone, and it's often well worth the time to do so.

John Fenton

Sergeant
I believe it is the SPLC being a hate group that he referred to.
She , Jessica smith, the author of the article. Yes she was talking about the splc. However the group she is affiliated with is also a hate group, of lbgt people and non-conforming [to them ] religious views, or freedoms.
she is hardly to be considered “reliable”.

And you won’t. They are very careful about that. It is how the organization came to be. They haven’t yet been labeled a hate group. They do use words and terms that play on semantics. it is run by all the same people who used be and some still are at the LotS. It’s the same people.
in my research i ran across an article or review by one member of another member ( i think it was Wilson and Livingston). All praise and laurels.
you don’t need a decoder ring, they just don’t say it but they go right to the edge and they feel it gives the authors some anonymity to express themselves without repercussions by seeming benign . this is precisely why they want to avoid the “ Abbeville Institute hate group” moniker.

Last edited:

Horrido67

Private
I'm no fan of the LotS, but I do like some of what gets published by the Abbeville Institute, depending on the author of any particular piece.

this may be true and is precisely why they want to avoid the “”hate group” moniker
You don't need the Super Secret Yankee decoder to notice the Abbeville Institute's unabashed hatred against 'the Yankees'. Sure, I understand why the NY baseball team isn't liked by many, but why the people from anywhere above the mason-dixon line? It seems like it the narratives are always the same - 'The South is good and the North is bad. The country has gone down the drain because of the Yanks'. And it is the same people who insist 'It is Heritage, not Hate'.

"I hate the Constitution, this Great Republic, too
I hate the Freedman's Bureau in uniforms of blue
I hate the nasty eagle with all his brag and fuss
The lying, thieving Yankees, I hates 'em worse and worse!"

From the song "Oh, I'm a Good Old Rebel"

I think it is a good song, but I don't think any organization promotes the similar view in the 21st century for their modern political agenda is a reliable source for real history.

Last edited: