Is the Abbeville Institute a Reliable Source for Information Related to the Civil War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The source of the original document would be helpful. By source, in this instance, I mean from who.
Slave State Declarations of Secession, Slave State Secession Convention Journals, speeches in the US Congress by Southern Slave State representatives before Ft. Sumter, Speeches by Confederate government officials, the Confederate States of America Constitution, the war-like actions of the Southern Slave States before Lincoln assumes office and the firing on Ft. Sumter.

All of which has been posted on this forum many times before, some by myself, some by others.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Slave State Declarations of Secession, Slave State Secession Convention Journals, speeches in the US Congress by Southern Slave State representatives before Ft. Sumter, Speeches by Confederate government officials, the Confederate States of America Constitution, the war-like actions of the Southern Slave States before Lincoln assumes office and the firing on Ft. Sumter.

All of which has been posted on this forum many times before, some by myself, some by others.
That is why I so readily turn to sources like the Abbeville Intitute to learn why Southerners reacted so abruptly to Lincoln's election. Afterall, any issues deliniated in the declarations, journals, Confederate Constitution, etc were present before the 1860 election.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
@CSA Today,

Why you turn to the Abbeville Institute instead of the source documentation I have mentioned means, to me, you like your original sources filtered to a watered down mess that says nothing like the original's intent.

Unionblue
Because of writers like Clyde Wilson who explains what led the south to your, ugh, source documentations"

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
UB, for those of us who are here who are interested in learning actual history there are scholars like Clyde N. Wilson; for those who aren't, we can only speculate where they get their sources.
As long as Clyde Wilson clings to myth and preaches faith instead of fact, he will not be considered a "serious" scholar to myself. As long as he and others like him deny slavery as the cause of secession and the Civil War, he will gain no serious attention from me nor any of my remaining time on this earth chasing fantasy and lost cause agendas.

You do not have to speculate where I get my sources from, CSA Today. It is the actual words of those folks who led the nation into rebellion for the sole purpose of maintaining slavery and to hang onto their personal power over the rest of the nation, their rights, states or otherwise, be ****ed.

Unionblue

GwilymT

Brigadier General
Yes. but the League is a modern political organisation and to delve it into it here would be to delve into modern political politics.
No, the League is a well known white supremacist organization that longs for a modern ethnocentric Confederacy. The writings of one of its founders needs to be understood through this lense. In the League and Clyde Wilson’s perfect world, African Americans would be second class citizens along with women in an independent apartheid state south. This is who you look to for truth regarding the Civil War?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
No, the League is a well known white supremacist organization that longs for a modern ethnocentric Confederacy. The writings of one of its founders needs to be understood through this lense. In the League and Clyde Wilson’s perfect world, African Americans would be second class citizens along with women in an independent apartheid state south. This is who you look to for truth regarding the Civil War?
You didn't list a source for your propaganda, but The League longs for political independence from the Cultural Marxism and perversity of Modern America.

GwilymT

Brigadier General
You didn't list a source for your propaganda, but The League longs for political independence from the Cultural Marxism and perversity of Modern America.
Anyone can read all about it in their website. I’ll not disgrace CWT by linking to white supremacist organizations. However, here’s a link to a few comments made by their leaders:

I’ll agree that we’ve gotten a little off base from the topic here... perhaps a thread in chat would be better to discuss such a disgusting organization.

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Anyone can read all about it in their website. I’ll not disgrace CWT with linking to white supremacist organizations.
In the same spirit of comity, I will likewise do the same by not linking to Cultural Marxist sites.
Anyone can read all about it in their website. I’ll not disgrace CWT by linking to white supremacist organizations. However, here’s a link to a few comments made by their leaders:

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/league-south[/URL]

I’ll agree that we’ve gotten a little off base from the topic here... perhaps a thread in chat would be better to discuss such a disgusting organization.
Jeez, what a source.

“After allegations of a toxic workplace culture that discriminates against women and people of color, the Southern Poverty Law Center is trying to emerge and chart a way forward. Turmoil in the civil rights organization last month resulted in the firing of its famous founder and the resignations of its longtime president and legal director.”

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/17/713887174/after-allegations-of-toxic-culture-southern-poverty-law-center-tries-to-move-for

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/08/17/southern-poverty-law-center-hate-groups-scam-column/2022301001/

John Fenton

Corporal
"The Southern tradition as taught in the academy today, if taught at all, is studied mainly as a function of the ideological needs of others," Mr. Livingston [abbeville founder] says. "It is not examined in terms of its own inner light. It is as if you had programs of Jewish studies explored from the point of view of Catholics, or worse, of Nazis."
typical propaganda.
they flipped everything to play the victim.
the Abbeville Institute examines in terms of it’s own light of mythical positives of southern culture and has programs of slavery cultural studies explored from the point of view of white supremacists.
it is not a reliable source.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
"The Southern tradition as taught in the academy today, if taught at all, is studied mainly as a function of the ideological needs of others," Mr. Livingston [abbeville founder] says. "It is not examined in terms of its own inner light. It is as if you had programs of Jewish studies explored from the point of view of Catholics, or worse, of Nazis."
typical propaganda.
they flipped everything to play the victim.
the Abbeville Institute examines in terms of it’s own light of mythical positives of southern culture and has programs of slavery cultural studies explored from the point of view of white supremacists.
it is not a reliable source.
Those are bad rebels! Imagine it - promoting their own culture. Outrageous!

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
Greetings friends.
I'm kinda new here and thought I'd start here and give y'all my own two cents on the validity of the Abbeville Institute as an institution.
Is it a reliable source of information on the War Between the States (aka the American Civil War)? I'd give it a seven out of ten personally.
It is a fairly good site, though I'd care for it more if it left the modern politics out of the equation.
But that is just my take on it. It has good articles from time to time, although I do confess I don't actually read through more than maybe one a month, or so.
I don't know if that helps the discussion, or not.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Greetings friends.
I'm kinda new here and thought I'd start here and give y'all my own two cents on the validity of the Abbeville Institute as an institution.
Is it a reliable source of information on the War Between the States (aka the American Civil War)? I'd give it a seven out of ten personally.
It is a fairly good site, though I'd care for it more if it left the modern politics out of the equation.
But that is just my take on it. It has good articles from time to time, although I do confess I don't actually read through more than maybe one a month, or so.
I don't know if that helps the discussion, or not.
It doesn't.

Horrido67

Private
Those are bad rebels! Imagine it - promoting their own culture. Outrageous!
I didn't know Confederate Culture was all about denying the historical fact that they tried to break up the US over the issue of slavery and playing the victim. I am sure all members on this website are better than that.

Last edited: