Is the Abbeville Institute a Reliable Source for Information Related to the Civil War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Frankly, until I joined the discussions in this Forum I had never heard of the Abbeville Institute. I am still largely ignorant of its views. I'd like to have a calm, reasoned, civil discussion on its value as a source of information about the Civil War, its causes and its effect on America.
Thanks!

BlueandGrayl

First Sergeant
Look I have been in this website numerous times and have read its articles. The website it is dedicated to preserving what is true about the Southern tradition.

I don't necessarily think it's the most reliable source of information on the Civil War sometimes I agree with them sometimes I don't.

Either way it really depends on how it's structured.

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
. I am still largely ignorant of its views.
I suggest that you go to the site and read the articles for yourself, and rely upon your own fact-checking skills to answer your title query. Asking others to answer the query for you is likely to set up a dodgeball game with two distinct teams of opposing views aiming to knock down the other side. rather than to inform.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I suggest that you go to the site and read the articles for yourself, and rely upon your own fact-checking skills to answer your title query. Asking others to answer the query for you is likely to set up a dodgeball game with two distinct teams of opposing views aiming to knock down the other side. rather than to inform.
The purpose of this thread is to forego rhetoric, reading assignments and provide examples of accuracy and inaccuracies. Thanks for your suggestion, but following it does not provide any insight for this forum or the site.

If this is disturbing to anyone's sensibilities, then please avoid this thread.

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
If this is disturbing to anyone's sensibilities, then please avoid this thread.
Perhaps you should review my post again: The OP is asking if there is any value in a site that he has not looked at. Based on his posting history, the OP is very capable of making a factual evaluations. It is a set-up for bickering.

Last edited:

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Thanks for your response and advice.
However, although I admit being largely ignorant of the Institute, posts in a recent thread indicate that I am not alone. Hopefully, by sharing our opinions and reasons for trusting or distrusting their articles, we can all benefit (after all, that is a purpose of this Forum).

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Perhaps you should review my post again: The OP is asking if there is any value in a site that he has not looked at. Based on his posing history, the OP is very capable of making a factual evaluations. It is a set-up for bickering.
Perhaps I should have made myself more clear.
I have read some articles referenced in posts by various members. All were thought-provoking, some were useful but seemed to draw conclusions from incomplete information or selective editing. I want to see honest appraisals from other members. So long as the discussion is civil, respectful and follows our Community Guidelines, I do not anticipate any lasting damage.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
Perhaps you should review my post again: The OP is asking if there is any value in a site that he has not looked at. Based on his posing history, the OP is very capable of making a factual evaluations. It is a set-up for bickering.
Thanks for the concern. Both the originator of this thread and myself are staff members with many years of experience in managing threads. I appreciate your concerns and will keep them in mind. It is my responsibility as a host to facilitate and not retard conversations. I am inspired by this imperative. About CivilWarTalk

So you ask what's the purpose of CivilWarTalk? I think that it's first purpose is to be a friendly community, a proverbial "Cyber-campfire" if you will, for all who wish to post their thoughts or questions, and for all those who wish to listen. It's second purpose is as a powerful research tool, with a wide array of resources for the student of the Civil War.​

I look forward to actual contributions from everyone with actual evidence and references. Thanks again for your observations.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Exactly.

wausaubob

Major
Abbeville, you mean a town in the South Carolina hill country that was by passed by Sherman? Provocative name for a non-profit. They don't have published books in the library. Hence they are not exactly Scribner and Sons, or Oxford Press.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
Lets look at this from the Abbeville site.
Why The War Was Not About Slavery
By Clyde Wilson on Mar 9, 2016

A site search indicates this was referenced on CWT but not much in quotes or references offered. 4083 words in the article. Looking at the article, there are no footnotes and no page numbers. I see quotes without references to where they came from. There are attributions allegedly to persons without any indication where the quote can be found. There are anonymous speaker quoted. This strikes me as an unreliable source.

Last edited:

Harvey Johnson

First Sergeant
Lets look at this from the Abbeville site.
Why The War Was Not About Slavery
By Clyde Wilson on Mar 9, 2016

A site search indicates this was referenced on CWT but not much in quotes or references offered. 4083 words in the article. Looking at the article, there are no footnotes and no page numbers. I see quotes without references to where they came from. There are attributions allegedly to persons without any indication where the quote can be found. There are anonymous speaker quoted. This strikes me as an unreliable source.
I don't know why Wilson chose to avoid quote citations, but in the Internet Age it is unwise to dismiss un-cited quotations as necessarily false.

Some of Wilson's quotes, such as "Root hog, or die" are famous.

Others such as those below can be found via a Google search:

1. "It is very clear that the South gains by this process and we lose. No, we must not let the South go." — Union Democrat, Manchester New Hampshire, February 19, 1861
2. "The commercial bearing of the question has acted upon the North. We were divided and confused until our pockets were touched." — New York Times, March 30, 1861
3. "Why not let the South go? O that the South would go! But then they must leave us their lands.” — Joesph Hubbard, The Life of Henry Ward Beecher, (Philadelphia, Hubbard Brothers, 1887), 19
Nonetheless, I agree that it would have been preferable for Wilson to footnote his sources.

Last edited: