Restricted Is it proper to ban the Confederate Flag from Battle Reenactments?

LoriAnn

Retired User
Well, you guys will be happy to know that there were flags everywhere at the last reenactment I attended. First one to greet me was the Confederate flag. And this was in a suburb not too far from Chicago (about an hour away).

gary

Captain
Here's a (racial) minority's opinion - If you got one, fly it! It is proper for it to be flown during a reenactment. Does anyone expect Confederates to fly the Union Jack instead?

126thNY

Cadet
A definite NO for me!
I never dreamed that banning confederate flags at reenactment's would even be an issue one day.
Here is my advise to anyone that says confederate flags at reenactments offends them - Do not attend them!

civilken

1st Lieutenant
so it is no mistake I myself am against the flying of the Confederate at any school or government building. But a battlefield and reenactors is exactly where it should be and that's where it should have stayed from the beginning.

MattL

I'm for removal of Confederate symbols in certain cases and I'm down for a no on this.

To be fair I recommend reading the source article it links:
http://abc27.com/2016/06/30/pa-lawmaker-questions-use-of-confederate-flags-in-battle-reenactments/

If you are wondering the person's justification for suggesting this:

“I’ve been to many [reenactments] and there hasn’t been many that have really told the story about the oppression of the Confederate flag. I’ve not seen it and I enjoy those reenactments,” she said.

I think she hits on a good point but goes about it completely the wrong way. There is indeed an ignorance out there of the Confederates and it's self proclaimed ties to slavery, the oppression of the 40% of their Nation that were slaves, etc... I think people see that lack of recognition and education and simply lash out, though I don't think that's an effective way to approach a solution.

Battlefield reenactments are exactly where the flag should be (as well as museums, cemeteries, specific memorials, etc). People like this hurt the good efforts by others.

WalkingTurtles

Private
I don't see any evidence that our society, as a whole, has decided this. There are a few things I find objectionable in our society and would like to see them done away with, but darn it, it seems they're protected under the first amendment, so I guess I'll have to learn how to deal with them.

There are people within our society than find the flag objectionable, and I understand why, and I would sympathize with them if the flag was not used in it's correct historical setting. However, in this situation, I feel its fitting and proper that the flag be used.

It's a slippery slope, as has been proven time and time again in human history. As we give way to what sounds sensible, the perpetual progress of our "society" continues to push. The modern political times we live in today, should shine as an example, to give in to nothing.

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
It's a slippery slope, as has been proven time and time again in human history. As we give way to what sounds sensible, the perpetual progress of our "society" continues to push. The modern political times we live in today, should shine as an example, to give in to nothing.

I like your thinking.
In my case and at my age, I feel I have earned the right to "dance to the tune of my own drummer."