Restricted Is it proper to ban the Confederate Flag from Battle Reenactments?

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
I think the flag belong in museums... and yes, at reenactments, but not on flagpoles. And especially not on flagpoles that belong to a state.

But Is flying the CBF not protected under the 1st amendment? So how would anyone be able to ban the use of a flag on private ground at a private event?

LoriAnn

Retired User
But Is flying the CBF not protected under the 1st amendment? So how would anyone be able to ban the use of a flag on private ground at a private event?
Hopefully the reenactors here will set me straight on this, BUT...I think the place hosting the event ~ say it's the city's park district ~ could say, "No flag."

The organizers would either have to comply or find another place to host them.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
No me. Another slow news day, another news report, another thread.
People often do things to divert attention from more serious matters going on in their lives. Yes, this is a year old story but the continuing mess is that Pa. State Rep. Vanessa Lowery-Brown, who wants the CBF banned from historical re-enactments, was charged in 2014 for felony corruption and is still awaiting trial. This is the real story and another case of someone saying pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

LoriAnn

Retired User
The big reenactment at Gettysburg have usually been held on privately owned farmland.
And if whoever owned the farmland said, "No flag or find somewhere else to have the event," then I'm betting organizers would have to comply.

But I don't think the city could tell the land owner to ban the flag. The city could only make that rule if its property were involved.

gem

2nd Lieutenant
I think the flag belong in museums... and yes, at reenactments, but not on flagpoles. And especially not on flagpoles that belong to a state.

The sponsor of reenactment could say no CBF or entity who oversees the property where the reenactment takes place could say no CBF.

gem

2nd Lieutenant
They could, but what happens to attendance and the money it may generate for the area?

I agree.

I was trying to point out that since a reenactment is a private event, they could make rules to not allow the CBF and that's not violating laws.

Youngblood

Sergeant
The sponsers could say no flags.
The town could say no flags.
The farmers could say no flags.

But how accurate would a civil war reenactment be with no flags? Everyone from company on up had flags to mark their place in line back then.

Reactions: gem