Restricted Is it proper to ban the Confederate Flag from Battle Reenactments?

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Absolutely not.
Reenactments and museums are some of the places where historical flags do belong.

But it is an old story from july 2016.
It is a right wing website with a clear political agenda Making their version of events untrustworthy.
(very clear if one read the commends on their FB page)

and dam the stupidity in the commend section is bad... blaming the issue on Communism???

Last edited:

gem

2nd Lieutenant
Absolutely not.
Reenactments and museums are some of the places where historical flags do belong.

But it is an old story from july 2016.
It is a right wing website with a clear political agenda Making their version of events untrustworthy.
(very clear if one read the commends on their FB page)

and dam the stupidity in the commend section is bad... blaming the issue on Communism???

I agree with you, but this what happens when as a society decide that history that offends becomes off limits.

LoriAnn

Retired User
It's interesting timing for me that you bring this up. I have a beautiful shot of a Confederate flag in my most recent Flickr album, and I wondered if posting it would send some complaints my way.

Now, the album is clearly dedicated to a reenactment. And the US flag is featured as well, along with a variety of shots. So someone would have to be pretty tightly wound, I think, to zero in on that ONE photo. Fortunately my stuff is pretty low traffic. :D I have quite a few friends who lean in a particular direction, and likely would have an opinion on the flag, but so far no one has said anything.

I can't open the article, as my laptop is being a pill right now. It would indeed be a shame if there was a big push to ban the flag at reenactments. I'm not sure how that could legally be done ~ I suppose if places that host these events started making that demand, it could turn in that direction. But I seriously hope it doesn't.

J. Horace

Corporal
We do not have enough thought police employed around the US to enforce this. You never know when a flag will pop us. Some people even have the flag on their motorcycle helmet or car. I doubt many will want to pull police officers off of other duties to chase down flag wavers.

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I agree with you, but this what happens when as a society decide that history that offends becomes off limits.

I don't see any evidence that our society, as a whole, has decided this. There are a few things I find objectionable in our society and would like to see them done away with, but darn it, it seems they're protected under the first amendment, so I guess I'll have to learn how to deal with them.

There are people within our society than find the flag objectionable, and I understand why, and I would sympathize with them if the flag was not used in it's correct historical setting. However, in this situation, I feel its fitting and proper that the flag be used.

gem

2nd Lieutenant
I don't see any evidence that our society, as a whole, has decided this. There are a few things I find objectionable in our society and would like to see them done away with, but darn it, it seems they're protected under the first amendment, so I guess I'll have to learn how to deal with them.

There are people within our society than find the flag objectionable, and I understand why, and I would sympathize with them if the flag was not used in it's correct historical setting. However, in this situation, I feel its fitting and proper that the flag be used.

I agree its totally appropriate to have the CBF at reenactments.
The point I was trying to make that once a society decides that something is objectionable that crosses into many domains, reenactments being one of them.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I agree its totally appropriate to have the CBF at reenactments.
The point I was trying to make that once a society decides that something is objectionable that crosses into many domains, reenactments being one of them.
It is more likely that reenactments die out first.
Objectionable items find their way into plays and dramas. A reenactment is just a form of drama.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I wonder what Rep. Brown believes the reenacters should be flying instead.
We have discussed this off and off for years. One of those years I posted the following suggestions.
marchingf1.jpg
marchingf2.jpg

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I wonder what Rep. Brown believes the reenacters should be flying instead.
Also remember some folks post oldies from slow news days to wake folks up.
And anything flies on slow news days to see if anyone salutes.
From July 2013, 4 years ago.
Waving your favorite pattern cloth at the end of a stick is a first amendment right, be it a dish towel or the CBF.

I will assure you that someone will be offended by the dish towel.

Youngblood

Sergeant
So this person was nuts about the flag before it became the cool thing to do. I wonder what theyve been thinking lately.