Is he really gen. James J. Pettigrew?

14th Louisiana

Private
Hi folks, surfing on the net, I found this photograph as the only one in uniform of gen. Pettigrew. At least so it is attributed. Is really he? I mean, there is resemblance to his pictorial portrait, but the man in the photo is clearly a lieutenant. So it can only be a really early war photo? Anyone have more news and can clarify?

PETTINGREW.jpg

Portrait_of_General_James_Johnston_Pettigrew.jpg

There's obviously a resemblance, but I think it circumstantial and not likely to prove to be him. Have you researched the provenance where you found it, and if so what further can you tell us about it? I did a quick search for images of Pettigrew and although this one came up there was really no information about it, therefore making it suspect in my estimation. The only other image was this familiar antebellum engraving, presumably based on a now-lost ca. 1850's hard image, probably a daguerreotype or ambrotype:

1618931420831.png

Hi folks, surfing on the net, I found this photograph as the only one in uniform of gen. Pettigrew. At least so it is attributed. Is really he? I mean, there is resemblance to his pictorial portrait, but the man in the photo is clearly a lieutenant. So it can only be a really early war photo? Anyone have more news and can clarify?

View attachment 398378

View attachment 398379

Hi, I'm agree with you. I found the photograph on the database "find a grave". It was strange, or suspect if you prefer, so I posted this thread to know if someone had information about that and make a little clear the situation...

The painting is generally accepted as the only authentic portrait of Pettigrew in uniform.
It appears to be based on a poor-quality photograph I also found a CDV vignette of while doing my search but didn't bother copying since the painting was so much better. The vignette only showed his head and shoulders and he had a blank, fixed stare.

Back