NF Is Bearss' Vicksburg Trilogy worth the cost?

Non-Fiction
Worth the cost. He was the historian of the NPS, and he knows his history better than anyone. He is a very impressive writer. Many books are amateur hour compared to his books. He did the research and wrote three impressive volumes. When I worked for the NPS I read some of his books which were manuscript, although bound, they were not published until much later.

Would it be worth it to try to get some kind of campaign going to get Bearss' trilogy reprinted? First things first, find out who actually holds the rights - not UNP, so who else?

Bearss' maps are too small. I wish they were fold outs. Secondly, I wish they showed the deployment of regiments/battalions/artillery on them. Hopefully Bradley Gottfried prepares a book on that (and Port Hudson).

Thankfully Bearss is still alive and kicking. It is my understanding that anything written during employment with the National Parks Service is the intellectual property rights of the NPS. No royalties to Bearss or Maggie during their lives or residual income afterward.

Say Bearss wrote a more magnificent and encompassing study of Vicksburg with much better maps (I'm thinking Bradley Gottfried style maps showing which regiment fought where and when) in 2019, should Bearss then cross the Styx. His wife Maggie gets the rights. If Maggie predeceases Ed, then Bearss' childrens inherit them. In no kiddies, then Bearss' parents gets them (of course they're in the afterlife). If no parents, then his siblings and if no siblings, then offspring of the siblings (nephews and nieces) in equal shares. Of course, this is subject to his will/trust or Maggie's will/trust. Ask Eric Wittenberg, he's an atturnii.

I haven't checked the copyright date, but if Ed wrote them after leaving the National Parks, it's his. Then again, he could have sold it to Bob Younger (Morningside Press) and whomsoever bought Morningside Press from the Younger has them.

Thankfully Bearss is still alive and kicking. It is my understanding that anything written during employment with the National Parks Service is the intellectual property rights of the NPS. No royalties to Bearss or Maggie during their lives or residual income afterward.

Say Bearss wrote a more magnificent and encompassing study of Vicksburg with much better maps (I'm thinking Bradley Gottfried style maps showing which regiment fought where and when) in 2019, should Bearss then cross the Styx. His wife Maggie gets the rights. If Maggie predeceases Ed, then Bearss' childrens inherit them. In no kiddies, then Bearss' parents gets them (of course they're in the afterlife). If no parents, then his siblings and if no siblings, then offspring of the siblings (nephews and nieces) in equal shares. Of course, this is subject to his will/trust or Maggie's will/trust. Ask Eric Wittenberg, he's an atturnii.

I haven't checked the copyright date, but if Ed wrote them after leaving the National Parks, it's his. Then again, he could have sold it to Bob Younger (Morningside Press) and whomsoever bought Morningside Press from the Younger has them.
I've already checked UNP, they said they didn't acquire Morningside.

For what it's worth, I got the set through the CA library system. I agree with the previous poster who said the maps were too small. Except for that small point, Bearss goes into such detail that I doubt you could find a more comprehensive study of the battles around Vicksburg and the siege itself.

Back