Is Arkansas not given enough credit?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
A large number of men from Arkansas fought in the Civil War, but we rarely hear about Arkansas. A reasonable a mount of battles occurred there, still how many articles appear in Civil War magazines are about Arkansas or battles in Arkansas? Same can be said about books. I could fill a library about Virginia in the Civil War, Georgia in the Civil War, or even Tennessee in the Civil War, but what about Arkansas?

A large number of men from Arkansas fought in the Civil War, but we rarely hear about Arkansas. A reasonable a mount of battles occurred there, still how many articles appear in Civil War magazines are about Arkansas or battles in Arkansas? Same can be said about books. I could fill a library about Virginia in the Civil War, Georgia in the Civil War, or even Tennessee in the Civil War, but what about Arkansas?
Everyone ignores us! :cry:

I know the 3rd Arkansas Infantry was a fine regiment that earned the respect of the Texans in Hood's Brigade. I remember one Texan was quoted as saying he had rather fight beside the 3rd Arkansas than any other regiment in Lee's Army. Many of their men carried a verison of the Bowie known as the Arkansas Toothpick with a long double sided pointed blade that would have been very useful as a stabbing implement.

I know the 3rd Arkansas Infantry was a fine regiment that earned the respect of the Texans in Hood's Brigade. I remember one Texan was quoted as saying he had rather fight beside the 3rd Arkansas than any other regiment in Lee's Army. Many of their men carried a verison of the Bowie known as the Arkansas Toothpick with a long double sided pointed blade that would have been very useful as a stabbing implement.

What you said is exactly the truth ... but therein lies the problem. An Arkansas regiment, a Texas regiment, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Louisiana had to be sent east of the Appalachians before most historians even noticed them. It's why there are probably 30 threads on Gettysburg on this forum for every one on Vicksburg.

We Trans-Mississippians would be a tad jealous of this serious lack of respect had it not been for that near Mississippian President finally deciding to have that near Mississippian General, the one that had pretty well beat all comers west of those mountains, come over and show you Easterners how to end a war.

You're welcome for that, by the way.

Last edited:
One of my favorite personal stories of the war, had some relevance in Arkansas. It involves my GG Grandfather & his brother.

Two brothers both from, a wide spot in the road, in Missouri. At the outbreak of the war, one was 22, the other 17. The older brother, had taken in the younger. In the 1860 census, older brother is head of household, with a wife, a daughter, & his little brother. His first child died of disease, wasn't that uncommon at the time.

Once poo hits the fan, older brother volunteers, & joins the MSG under Price. Younger brother joins Co F 4th MO Vol Cavalry :O o: Both were at the Battle of Pea Ridge. Older brother is captured at the battle.

Their Mother died during the war. I can only imagine how she felt with her only 2 sons fighting on opposite sides.

They both survived but, I have no idea if they ever had a relationship post-war. Likewise, I don't know if they made contact with each other on the battle field, or once older brother was captured. I just know, post war, older brother named his next son, Stonewall Jackson *surname*. They both died within a few months of each other, in 1911.

126th Ill. Inf. and 106th Ill. Inf. served in the Army of Arkansas, Gen Steele commanding. 3rd MN was there as well.
My two books discuss a fair amount of Arkansas in the war. Helena, Clarendon, DeVall's Bluff, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, etc.

Been to most of those sites and am currently writing a book about the skirmish at Clarendon June of 1864.

They'll Do to Tie To: The Story of Hood's Arkansas Toothpicks: 3rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment, CSA by Major Calvin L Collier, USAF

Mark K Christ:
Civil War Arkansas 1863: The Battle For a State
Rugged and Sublime: the Civil War in Arkansas
Getting Used to Being Shot At: The Spence Family Civil War Letters
All Cut to Pieces and Gone to Hell: The Civil War: Race Relations and the Battle of Poison Springs
The Earth Reeled and Trees Trembled: Civil War Arkansas 1863-64
The Die is Cast: Arkansas Goes to War 1861

The Trans-Mississippi is a gold mine for new information and untold stories. Let's face it, Kansas and Missouri were the ignition point, literally, cities and counties were split in half. The fighting began in the early 1850s and continued long after 1865.

The Trans-Mississippi is a gold mine for new information and untold stories. Let's face it, Kansas and Missouri were the ignition point, literally, cities and counties were split in half. The fighting began in the early 1850s and continued long after 1865.
There is a vast amount of primary material in the Official Records. I would dare say I could spend a couple years just reading about supply lines, border crossings, back and forth movements of troops, centered about Arkansas alone. I central aspect of how others gather there sources concerns diaries and private correspondence which I can only glean with envy from there own depositories, but this should not be a cause to remain unaware. Maybe the trans-Mississippi department bestows a form of loneliness on the individual doing research?
Lubliner.

There is a vast amount of primary material in the Official Records. I would dare say I could spend a couple years just reading about supply lines, border crossings, back and forth movements of troops, centered about Arkansas alone. I central aspect of how others gather there sources concerns diaries and private correspondence which I can only glean with envy from there own depositories, but this should not be a cause to remain unaware. Maybe the trans-Mississippi department bestows a form of loneliness on the individual doing research?
Lubliner.

I have tried to find correspondence with the regiments I am interest in. Little to be found; could be the farmers didn't write much or couldn't.
Also some of the towns were not very helpful in finding data. Clarendon was bad and DuVall's Bluff not much better. Something about not offending the local population was used as an excuse.

I have tried to find correspondence with the regiments I am interest in. Little to be found; could be the farmers didn't write much or couldn't.
Also some of the towns were not very helpful in finding data. Clarendon was bad and DuVall's Bluff not much better. Something about not offending the local population was used as an excuse.
Checking with Local Librarians would be your best bet on personal correspondence. Many times a late Governor or someone of wealth and importance to the State donates their private letters etc. for a housing room at a Library. These can only be approached by request, most times.
Lubliner.

Arkansas doesn't get enough Civil War love that's for sure. I have made one afternoon Civil War sightseeing trip in Little Rock and the Confederate Cemetery in Cabot, Arkansas. Also went to the Sultana Disaster Museum in Marion, Arkansas. Very much hope to spend more time in Arkansas in the future. I have some reading material to study up on but need to get more before I venture up there again.

Checking with Local Librarians would be your best bet on personal correspondence. Many times a late Governor or someone of wealth and importance to the State donates their private letters etc. for a housing room at a Library. These can only be approached by request, most times.
Lubliner.

I did talk with librarians in both towns. That is where I often start. Thanks though.

Back