Is anyone here familiar with the Piedmontese M1844/60 musket?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Hi everyone!

I had been doing some firearm research lately and came across a Piedmontese M1844/60 that had been imported by the Federal Government in 1862 for military use. I wasn't able to find much about the firearm other than less than ten thousand were imported by the government during the war. Does anyone know anything more about this rifle, how hard it is to find and how it may have been used specifically in Ohio? I know this is kind of a crazy request, but I really appreciate it! Thanks!

Piedmontese.jpg

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
No, but it appears to be a handsome musket - welcome to the forums!

James Brenner

Private
The only way to determine positively if it had an Ohio connection is if it had the stamp, OHIO. (note period), on the wrist and/or flat of the stock. Absent that stamp, there's no way to know.

I second Lanyard Puller's advice about purchasing reference books. You can't go wrong.

Don Dixon

Corporal
There isn't much out there in English on Piedmontese rifle muskets. See pages 101-2 of Marc Schwalm's and Klaus Hofmann's book European Arms in the Civil War for the most recently published information.

I have a Model 1860 Piedmontese rifle musket which is marked on the right buttstock with the house stamp of A. Francotte, Liege, Belgium, and on the left wrist with the stamp of the William Moyer G.A.R. Post No. 152. Post 152 was located in Alma, MI. The weapon is in antique excellent condition. On 8 January 1862 Falisse and Trapmann of Liege invoiced Federal Minister Resident Sanford in Liege for 500 Piedmontese rifles, and on 18 January Falisse and Trapmann billed Sanford for an additional 384 Piedmontese rifles. So, clearly my Piedmontese rifle musket was not one of those two purchases of Piedmontese model weapons by Sanford.

Ohio use? See Jim Brenner's comment, although I've seen nothing in the Ohio Adjutant General's reports listing Piedmontese arms. But, given the technical accuracy of the A.G.'s lists, any Piedmontese weapons would probably have been commingled on the lists with something else: i.e., "Belgian," or "French."

Regards,
Don Dixon

Last edited: