Is Anyone Able to "Truly" Document this Southern Claim?

Sagebrush

Corporal
Many of you will be familiar with the following excerpt as it is quite prominant on various Southern/Pro-Confederate websites for what should be obvious reasons. As one who endeavors to approach the study of this great conflict with as high a degree of intellectual integrity as possible, meaning both northern and southern sources, it is important for me to follow the truth wherever it may lead. Human bias is not the exclusive domain of one side or the other. I do not think in terms of the "real truth." As far as I'm concerned, there can be only ONE TRUTH. There is propaganda and indoctrination, but that does not qualify as truth. Only the FACTS represent truth. OK! Enough this "poor man's" philosophy!

Here is the $64 question. Can anyone produce documented evidence that this Black man was actually a Mississippi state legislator in 1890, and that he did in fact deliver such a speech before the state senate? In my research, (and citing a so-called article in the local Clarion Ledger is not what I consider sufficient evidence) have I found any proof substantiating this claim, although presented as part of the "real truth." There is record of a Black lawyer by the name of John F. Harris who did reside in Washington County, but I can find no mention of his being a state represntative, that he ever delivered such a speech, and neither is his signature recorded on the State Constitution of November of 1890. Therefore, I welcome any credible documentation to verify this story, so that it does not remain anything else, but a "story." Thanks!

Sagebrush

----------------------------------------------------------------

You see the Confederate Battle Flag is not a racist symbol and it never has been. One of my favorite stories is about a black representative, John F. Harris, who was a legislator in Washington County, Mississippi. And he had the opportunity to vote for Senate Bill #25, which was a bill to erect a Confederate Monument on the Capitol Square in Jackson, Mississippi. Now the bill did pass and Mr. Harris, who was sick and got out of his bed to give his speech before the Senate, did so and, on February 23, 1890, the Daily Clarion Ledger of Jackson, Mississippi printed his speech in full. Let me read a portion of it to you. He says, "Mr. Speaker, I have arisen here in my place to offer a few words on the bill. I have come from a sick bed. Perhaps it was not prudent for me to come, but Sir I could not rest quietly in my room without contributing a few remarks of my own. I was sorry to hear the speech of the young gentlemen from Marshall County. I am sorry that any son of a soldier should go on record as opposed to the erection of a monument in honor of their brave dead. And Sir, I am convinced that had he seen what I saw at Seven Pines and in the seven days fighting around Richmond, the battle field covered with the mangled forms of those who fought for their country and for their countries honor, he would not have made that speech. When the news came that the South had been invaded, those men went forth to fight for what they believed. And they made no requests for monuments. But they died and their virtues should be remembered. Sir, I went with them. I too wore the Grey. The same color my master wore. We stayed four long years and if that war had gone on until now, I would have been there yet. I want to honor those brave men who died for their convictions. When my mother died I was a boy. Who Sir, then acted the part of a mother to the orphaned slave boy but my old misses. Was she living now or could speak to me from those high realms where gathered the sainted dead, she would tell me to vote for this bill and, Sir, I shall vote for it. I want it known to all the world that my vote is given in favor of a bill to erect a monument in honor of the Confederate dead." Here was a man, a black man, who wore the Confederate gray and he understood the War was not a racist War. Now, let me tell you, the Confederate Flag is not a racist flag.

Back