1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Authentic IRON SKILLET

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by nitrofd, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 18thVirginia

18thVirginia Captain Forum Host

Read this trick if you have an old cast iron skillet that has seasoning gone bad. I had one of these--a skillet that of all mine, somehow got messed up.

The suggestion was that if you have a self-cleaning oven, turn it upside down, place it on a shelf and put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the remains of the old seasoning, then run the oven. It really does work and then you can reseason the skillet.

nitrofd, donna, JohnW. and 1 other person like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

That really does work. About 130 degrees. Never done the self cleaning but I have coated with oil, placed in the oven with a cookie sheet under it. The skillet should be upside down. Great remedy.

nitrofd, donna, JohnW. and 1 other person like this.
  4. jpro

jpro Corporal

I use mine most every day!! Hardly ever clean it, may wipe it out some! Use an old coffee tin to pour grease into after frying pork bellies, bacon etc...
    If gets really dirty I just pour salt in it and heat it up a bit!! Cleans it best ever!!

nitrofd, donna and JohnW. like this.
  5. Michael W.

Michael W. Sergeant

That is exactly what my wife does...

JohnW. and jpro like this.
  6. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

I have a Dutch oven and 2 frying pans. Because of the weight I usually only take a frying pan with me on a soirre into the back country. You don't appreciate just how heavy cast iron is until you try humping it and 50lbs of other gear up and over a mountain. The air up there is a bit thinner also.:confused::cold:

nitrofd, donna and jpro like this.
  7. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

Some of the old steam loco men used to cook bacon and eggs on an old iron coal shovel, they said nothing could beat the taste, I guess it must be like cooking on an old iron skillet.
    upload_2017-3-21_9-57-51.jpeg

donna likes this.
  8. johan_steele

johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

There is just one problem with this thread... the cast iron we know today did not exist at the time of the ACW but came into use in the late 19th century, well after the ACW.

Waterloo50 likes this.
  9. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

nitrofd and donna like this.
  10. Frito

Frito Corporal

Its hard to beat a pot of Frijoles and some Mexican cornbread made in a cast iron skillet.

donna and nitrofd like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)