IRISH: THE FORGOTTEN WHITE SLAVES

You're lucky to have the amount of info about your ancestors that you do. IMO, apprenticing to a trade doesn't really fit any definition of slavery. Paul Revere was an apprentice.
That's true the way we currently think of an apprenticeship. I don't know what it was like back in his day.

I have one indentured ancestor: a Highland Scot captured by Cromwell at the Battle of Worcester in 1650. He was bound to a shipwright in Rowley

Mine was a lowland Scot from Fifeshire sent in 1650 by Cromwell to Barbados. His name was Ninian Beall. He was purchased by a planter in Maryland, worked out his indenture, and became very prosperous.

I think it comes down to the following. We know the slaves had no rights and were completely subject to their masters will. The question what right did indenture servants have under the law. I bet little to none and the only thing an indenture knew. There would be a day he would to free. While a slave knew he would never be free. I wonder how many times an indenture servant was force to stay with their

Haven't watched this in a while, but I think it is the first speaker who addresses the question of the difference legally between the bonded servant and the slave

If Irish forced indentured servitude was truly disruptive, it would not be that tough to find writings about it, outside government records.

Exactly. In the 19th Century South being a slave was tied to race. In other societies with slavery it was not.

Remember the Royal West India regiment rescued by Confederates in British Honduras(Belize) has slave origins...

Slaves might rise from the lowest depth to levels of power over time. The Janissaries are one example.

They were like the Janissaries in some way... Link:https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/slaves-red-coats-west-india-regiment

Snippets...

Slaves in red coats: The West India Regiment
The British Army was the single biggest purchaser of slaves by the end of the 18th century. The soldiers they bought joined the West India Regiment and played an integral role in defending British territories in the Caribbean. After the abolition of slavery, West Indian soldiers remained a part of the British Army until 1927.

Snippet...

The ranks of the new regiments were swelled with Creole and African slaves, purchased specifically from West Indian sugar plantations or from newly-arrived slave ships. Between 1795 and 1807 estimates suggest 13,400 slaves were purchased for the West India Regiments.
The venture was deemed so successful that between 1798 and 1806 the army bought seven per cent of all slaves sold in the British West Indies.

Snippet...

Former slave soldiers were increasingly given the same rights as white soldiers. Significantly, they were recognised as a formal part of the British Army - unlike their counterparts in India and other British colonies.

It's a short article but learns about their fate in the early 20th century

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/slaves-red-coats-west-india-regimen

Back