Irish revolutionist – Thomas Francis Meagher

Great post on the man. Now if we could only pronounce his surname right. Pronounced "Maar" as I understand it (apparently Leprechauns stole most of the letters :speechless:).
The name today is usually spelled Mahar or Maher. The real Gaelic is O'Meachair.
The Irish language generally uses more letters than it needs -- particularly at the end of a word.

In 2017, Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn debuted a bust of Meagher next to the grave of his wife.

green.JPG

The real Gaelic is O'Meachair.
Interestingly, the day after he had been informed he would be sent to exile on Tasmania, Meagher apparently announced that he wished henceforth to be known as Thomas Francis O'Meagher. Since there was no other reference made to this in the Wikipedia article, I didn't mention it in the bio. I'm now wondering what the O' in a surname stands for or means. Does anyone know?

Interestingly, the day after he had been informed he would be sent to exile on Tasmania, Meagher apparently announced that he wished henceforth to be known as Thomas Francis O'Meagher. Since there was no other reference made to this in the Wikipedia article, I didn't mention it in the bio. I'm now wondering what the O' in a surname stands for or means. Does anyone know?
"Grandson of" or descendent of.

Most (but not all) Irish surnames were patronymics: named for a famous or legendary ancestor, and were prefixed by "O'" or "Mc/Mac" (son of). When the names were "Englished" in the 18th and 19th centuries, the prefixes were often dropped. After the Gaelic Revival of the late 19th century, the prefix was frequently restored.

Another excellent bio, thank you! 90% brand new information. Love bringing our Irish story to the forefront- it gets lost in our area despite the heavy influx and names in local cemeteries under GAR markers ( and Molly Maguire house that stood around 10 miles from here when I was a kid ).

I have researched the Irish Brigade for 34 years, and I have a lot of things about him. I have a drawer full of things on him in one of my file cabinets. I would have liked to have proofread Egan's book, there are some errors. He is from Montana, and not so familiar with the battles in the East. It was New York Times bestseller.

I have researched the Irish Brigade for 34 years, and I have a lot of things about him. I have a drawer full of things on him in one of my file cabinets. I would have liked to have proofread Egan's book, there are some errors. He is from Montana, and not so familiar with the battles in the East. It was New York Times bestseller.
What are some of the errors Egan made?

There are a lot of statements made in the book like P 228: "More than two months after Antietam Meagher's men let their beards grow long and gnarly. They grubbed for turnips in cold fields and traded blankets for liquor. They dipped cups in vats of wretched coffee slicked from pork bits, and licked their blackened fingers for the grease." Hancock did catch them once getting turnips from a field, and he was angry about it, but the rest...I have no idea where the rest came from.

Back