Irish revolutionist – Thomas Francis Meagher

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Great post on the man. Now if we could only pronounce his surname right. Pronounced "Maar" as I understand it (apparently Leprechauns stole most of the letters :speechless:).
The name today is usually spelled Mahar or Maher. The real Gaelic is O'Meachair.
The Irish language generally uses more letters than it needs -- particularly at the end of a word.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
The real Gaelic is O'Meachair.
Interestingly, the day after he had been informed he would be sent to exile on Tasmania, Meagher apparently announced that he wished henceforth to be known as Thomas Francis O'Meagher. Since there was no other reference made to this in the Wikipedia article, I didn't mention it in the bio. I'm now wondering what the O' in a surname stands for or means. Does anyone know?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Interestingly, the day after he had been informed he would be sent to exile on Tasmania, Meagher apparently announced that he wished henceforth to be known as Thomas Francis O'Meagher. Since there was no other reference made to this in the Wikipedia article, I didn't mention it in the bio. I'm now wondering what the O' in a surname stands for or means. Does anyone know?
"Grandson of" or descendent of.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Most (but not all) Irish surnames were patronymics: named for a famous or legendary ancestor, and were prefixed by "O'" or "Mc/Mac" (son of). When the names were "Englished" in the 18th and 19th centuries, the prefixes were often dropped. After the Gaelic Revival of the late 19th century, the prefix was frequently restored.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!