Irish Brigade PA 116 Co. I registration records

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

rlw254

Cadet
Hello, my 4x great-grandfather was Private Andrew Wallace born (probably) in Co. Tyrone, Ireland, around 1825. Andrew fought and died in the 116th Pennsylvania, Company I, part of the Irish Brigade. He enlisted 6 April 1864 and was taken prisoner shortly after, on 11 June 1864. I believe this was during the close of the Battle of Cold Harbor. A first-hand account I read from this time indicated that the company would have been falling back and that a few stragglers were left behind presumed dead or captured. I assume that Andrew was one of them. He was imprisoned in Andersonville and died 10 July 1864 of debilitas. Unfortunately it was a quite short military career for him.

Muster-out rolls show he was enlisted 6 April 1864 in Philadelphia by "Capt. Nowlen" and mustered into service the same day by Sgt. Burke. I cannot find enlistment records or any sort of registration. Does anybody know if this exists, or where I could find it? I have already sourced his complete pension files from NARA, which was a very interesting read.

Thanks for any help or information! Andrew also had a brother in the 66th > 73rd Pennsylvania who became a sergeant that I am currently requisitioning pension files for. I will probably be back with more questions then.

rlw254

Cadet
Bumping this in hopes somebody has information about 116th PA Co. I registration records or this company in general.

Unfortunately Andrew's brother in the 66th/73rd PA did not have much of interest in his pension file.

rlw254

Cadet
Thanks all for the kind welcome. Captaindrew thank you also for the links, I have used both of these sites in my research so far and they have proven helpful.