Iowa Men in Missouri Milita

1903sprfld

Private
I had a great Grandfather who lived in Bedford Iowa at the age of 65 he enlisted (at Bedford Iowa) in the 4th missouri cav milita. He was musterd in at St joesph MO. During operations against Partisans he died of disease at Mt Vernon Mo and is buried in Springfield. I have another GG uncle that was from Page county Iowa and was in a MO 27 Inf. I have always found this to be strange why woud Missouri be enlisting in men in Iowa not to mention recruiting men in there mid 60s

Not aware of Missouri specifically trying to recruit out of staters, though people would cross state lines to join other states, I have one who crossed over to il to enlist.

It could be that Iowa had met their quota for enlistments but Missouri still had openings, or MO was paying a bounty and Iowa was not or not paying as much.
Wouldn't think there was bounty for militia, that would only been MV

Lusty Murfax

Sergeant
When the call was issued for volunteers, Missourians joined the State militia better known as the Missouri State Guard. There were far more volunteers than could be supported with weapons, ammo and all equipment necessary for the mission, which was protection of the State from out of State invaders. I am unaware of any Iowans volunteering for the MSG.

Lampasas Bill

Sergeant
When did he enlist? It sounds to me that he probably enlisted the the Missouri State Militia organized by Unionist governor Hamilton Gamble in November 1861. It was a unique organization. Many of the three-year volunteer regiments had left Missouri to oppose Confederate forces east of the Mississippi, leaving Missouri prey to guerrilla bands and secessionist forces hovering along the Arkansas border. On Nov. 5, 1861, Gamble made Lincoln a novel proposition: Missouri would raise a full-time force to defend the state and secure the Union's right flank if the Federal Government would equip, supply and train it. The force would be under command of the U.S. Department of the West.

Lincoln liked the plan and on Nov. 27th ordered Brig. Gen. John M. Schofield to take command and organize the force, which was to consist of 10,000 men. Eventually the "M.S.M." consisted of fourteen regiments, two battalions and one independent company of cavalry, one regiment of infantry, two light batteries and one company of sappers and miners, all enlisted for the duration. Most served in company-sized units scattered throughout the state to suppress guerrillas, although some regiments were consolidated to serve against Sterling Price's raid in 1864. They proved to be as good as any regular three-year volunteers and never hesitated to leave the state when called on--especially when a fight was imminent. Six regiments and one battalion of the M.S.M. lost over fifty killed and mortally wounded during the war. They were granted the honor in 1864 of being allowed to reenlist as Veteran Volunteers, with extra pay and bonuses. By Jan. of 1865, as hostilities decreased in Missouri, those with three years of service were mustered out. By June 23, 1865, the M.S.M was dissolved; members were entitled to all State and Federal benefits after the war.

1903sprfld

Private
here is his paybook page he was recruited in Bedford Iowa in 1862
IMG_0606.JPG

Lampasas Bill

Sergeant
Looks like he was definitely in the 4th Missouri State Militia Cavalry. According to the NPS, the 4th was organized at St. Joseph, Missouri Jan. 28 to May 14, 1862. They were ordered to Kansas City from May till Aug., where they were fitted out. After a skirmish on the Little Blue River on June 2, they were ordered to southwest Missouri. They did duty at Mt. Vernon until Sept. 30, during which time your ancestor passed away. Here's a record of the regiment's service:

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=UMO0004RCY

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
When the call was issued for volunteers, Missourians joined the State militia better known as the Missouri State Guard. There were far more volunteers than could be supported with weapons, ammo and all equipment necessary for the mission, which was protection of the State from out of State invaders. I am unaware of any Iowans volunteering for the MSG.
The Missouri State Guard ( MSG) was the replacement of the Missouri Volunteer Militia ( MVM) that was attacked at Camp Jackson by Lyon. The MSG was commanded by Sterling Price and a portion of them mustered into CS service prior to Pea Ridge.
The MSM Missouri State Militia which is what he's asking about came about slower the Enrolled Militia (EMM) and the Provestional Militia ( PEMM) came first then the MSM.
The MSM despite it's name was a full time active formation, but were for use only in the state, although incursions were made into Arkansas at times. They were equipped and uniformed and paid and at various times bounties were authorized.