Iowa and the Civil War, and the Davis County Raid of 64.

Kentucky Derby Cavalier.

First Sergeant
Hey folks, for sometime Iv'e wondered about Iowa during the Civil War. Mainly as it pertains to its southern border with Missouri.

In 1864 there was a raid by Bushwhackers into Davis County. From what I read on Wiki this happend more than once. Seeing that Northern Missouri is Where Bill Anderson died, Iv'e got to imagine there had to be more than one raid into Southern Iowa.

Thoughts?

IowaMissouri-mitchell-1861.jpg

Sporadically, Confederate partisans and bushwhackers raided Iowa. One such incursion in the fall of 1864 was designed to disrupt the reelection of Abraham Lincoln. Near the Missouri border, many Iowans were pro-slavery, anti-Lincoln Confederate sympathizers, and they provided a safe haven for guerrillas. On October 12, 1864, a dozen raiders disguised as Union soldiers terrorized Davis County, where they looted residences and kidnapped and murdered three Iowans near Bloomfield.

Hey folks, for sometime Iv'e wondered about Iowa during the Civil War. Mainly as it pertains to its southern border with Missouri.

In 1864 there was a raid by Bushwhackers into Davis County. From what I read on Wiki this happend more than once. Seeing that Northern Missouri is Where Bill Anderson died, Iv'e got to imagine there had to be more than one raid into Southern Iowa.

Thoughts?

View attachment 333480

Sporadically, Confederate partisans and bushwhackers raided Iowa. One such incursion in the fall of 1864 was designed to disrupt the reelection of Abraham Lincoln. Near the Missouri border, many Iowans were pro-slavery, anti-Lincoln Confederate sympathizers, and they provided a safe haven for guerrillas. On October 12, 1864, a dozen raiders disguised as Union soldiers terrorized Davis County, where they looted residences and kidnapped and murdered three Iowans near Bloomfield.

About a dozen raided in Davis County under Jim Jackson, killed 3, One for unwisely arguing with Jackson and two other for being members of Union Military units, stole some goods, destroyed some personal weapons. Then Iowa militia units incapable of catching Jackson, lynched one alleged southern sympathizer.

I believe theres a handful of similar raids during the war. All small scale in numbers involved and duration

About a dozen raided in Davis County under Jim Jackson, killed 3, One for unwisely arguing with Jackson and two other for being members of Union Military units, stole some goods, destroyed some personal weapons. Then Iowa militia units incapable of catching Jackson, lynched one alleged southern sympathizer.

I believe theres a handful of similar raids during the war. All small scale in numbers involved and duration
You know it's interesting, that's the first time i heard the name Jim Jackson.

I imagine there would be more than one raid.

I had ancesters from Page county Iowa. Who were in the Southern Iowa defence Bragade ( I think that is what it was called) very early in the war they invaded Missouri occupied St Joesph and Chillicothe depriving the confederates control of that part of missouri
Wow, super cool!

This week I finally got around to doing the driving tour of the raid, it was enjoyable and on a beautiful day, originally planned on taking pics and posting of the the 30 some sites they visited. But nothing really remains of them so they would just looked like any corn or bean field. Did stop by Davis county visitor center and get a little booklet they had on the raid.

The raid only penetrated maybe 7 miles into Iowa at its deepest point, it essentially was a shallow arc going along state line bout 20 miles. But from booklet I gathered another example of the political nature of the war. There was four southern iowa defence brigades formed early in the war, each from a multi county area along the state line. They were disbanded within a year as they had mostly Republican appointed officers, and disbanded due to complaints they would intimidate and abuse Democrat Iowans.

Finally got around to finish reading the booklet, it concluded with interesting questions......What was the purpose of the raid? They and I conclude it was likely somewhat random.....

But as in Missouri, the guerrillas seemed to have accurate intelligence, the homes visited were known Republicans and Unionists, even though Davis county had a strong Democrat population. Its author jumps to the KGC which seems a bugaboo often used with no evidence, its one of those mysteries we probably will never know.

Jackson took prisoners who he forced to travel with him till being released, so he had no local guide or they would have been recognized. As well 2 of the killed were Union soldiers killed in retaliation for a specific guerrilla killed earlier. The third killed foolishly decided to argue over turning over some horses.

But as in Missouri, the guerrillas seemed to have accurate intelligence, the homes visited were known Republicans and Unionists, even though Davis county had a strong Democrat population.
As other posters stated, there was a network of confederate sympathizers in southern Iowa.

Here is a brief article regarding conscription fueled violence between Republican and Democrat leaning Iowans in the area. It mentions several skirmishes, murdered conscription officers and suggests some towns were "no go" zones for members of the other faction:

Thoughts?

View attachment 333480

Always appreciate learning something about our Civil War I didn't know👍

As other posters stated, there was a network of confederate sympathizers in southern Iowa.

Here is a brief article regarding conscription fueled violence between Republican and Democrat leaning Iowans in the area. It mentions several skirmishes, murdered conscription officers and suggests some towns were "no go" zones for members of the other faction:

Wow, I never heard of that. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting article, Cryptic. Thanks for posting.

Back