Introduction and an tangential question

I realise that his is a very specific and perhaps esoteric question and indeed one that there maybe no answer to but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear from them.

Cheers

Simon
Hello Simon.

Welcome to Civil War Talk.

We have quite a few railroad enthusiasts on board.
I feel that you will have some interesting conversations on these forums.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
welcome2.jpg

The Am. Soc. of Mech. Engrs. (v.33, 1912), says:
011a.jpg

011b.jpg
Contrabands or former slaves would likely have been violently unwelcome in northern factories. I doubt there was any official policy to employ them there. It was, in fact, not government policy to move freedmen North, into "the Union states" at all. Some may have been given work in the few mills within the occupied districts on the South -- though these were few, indeed. Given his age, I doubt he was "in charge" of a major undertaking.

"He was a student in the scientific department of Cortland academy, Homer, N.Y., till 1861, when he joined the civil force of the war department in caring for freedmen escaping into the Federal lines," [http://sackett-tree.org/getperson.php?personID=I6796&tree=1]

There are relatively few "non-military" War Department records online. But, I will search around to see of I can find anything more.

Last edited:
Hi, and good luck on your project. I would contact museums related to the "Underground Railroad" which was the secretive route the escaping slaves (or former slaves) took to reach safety. Also, Facebook can have some very knowledgeable Facebook Groups that discuss specific topics like this. Try searching Google books for anything on Hunt and this topic. There are a lot of older free viewing books there.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)