Introducing myself, plus my first question

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Ulysses S. Grant forum :grant:

Sherman certainly had some tough words to say about war and although I don't know the answer to your question I can imagine it as a possibility.

Howdy and Welcome!
When Sherman was at present day LSU (pre-war), he loved the South and the people in it. I may be wrong, but I find it difficult to believe that he would have stereotyped Southerners by describing them as people "who knew nothing but hunting, drinking, gambling and dueling, a class who benefited from slavery and would rather die than work for a living."
This description sounds more like an episode of "Hee Haw" or "The Dukes of Hazzard"....

Welcome, :wavespin: from Alabama! I cannot help with your exact quote attributed to Sherman, but the sentiment is clearly echoed throughout his memoir, and other of his similar comments, and in personal letters. It wasn't just the South that Sherman hated, it was also Native Americans, nor did he respect the lives of blacks. You can find much about Sherman in various posts herein.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I don't know about Sherman, but welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

Welcome from the Columbia Gorge!
Re. you're question, did Goldman cite his source? If he did, I'd check it out for myself. If he didn't, I wouldn't take it at face value.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)