Introducing a New Forum on Immigration

A Union soldier born in the Philippines
for me.jpg

I certainly hope so! Those sixth graders studied them for most of last semester and still can't name all 50. Or remember what that big river is in the middle. Sheesh. I was told several years ago I'd have to retire when I got this class. Actually, my daughter told me that after subbing for them a couple of days. You know, she may be right.

It's been a (*&^ of a week.
To become a citizen you have to know the Mississipi. Tell the kids they need to know it to be good citizens.

Late saying congrats, please excuse! Had never really thought about Canadians fighting in the war- silly oversight! Looking forward to hearing more- although have a feeling will be looking up information now it's popped into the head.

Not too much longer teachers, swear! Aren't there cruise tickets somewhere with your names on them? And pillows to scream into? And bottles to- ok never mind.

Thank you! That's going to be good reading - got to get my eyes fired up this morning. :laugh: The Maroons are very interesting and formed several varied communities of mixed European, black, Indian and Asian people - some contained Arabs and Berbers even. (Think the most famous of them was Hi Jolly!) Back in the sticks here we have Indian, Chinese, Hawaiian and Portuguese mixed people - very like these other groups. The Portuguese came from the Azores in the 1920s - very interesting immigrants but too late for the CW!

Cal-Ore! Top counties of California with bottom counties of Southern Oregon. Been getting voted on by the supes and there's more counties wanting to join up. (Governor Moonbeam and Dr No don't seem to be worried...) It's an American tradition for various regions, counties, cities and even neighborhoods to fuss about taking a hike. (Of course, we all know what happens when you try that for real!) That's why many foreign people look at the place and wonder what holds us together.

Cal-Ore! Top counties of California with bottom counties of Southern Oregon. Been getting voted on by the supes and there's more counties wanting to join up. (Governor Moonbeam and Dr No don't seem to be worried...) It's an American tradition for various regions, counties, cities and even neighborhoods to fuss about taking a hike. (Of course, we all know what happens when you try that for real!) That's why many foreign people look at the place and wonder what holds us together.
Long Island periodically threatens to become the 51st State. Apparently our tiny band of separatists want to call it "Peconic".

They want to secede from the US or just Cali-Ore?

Southern Oregon and Northern California want to secede from their respective states and join to form the new state of Jefferson (which, BTW, had been proposed as a state name in the past: Colorado I think was one such).

Our collective region differs from the rest of the state in that we are more rural and, generally, more politically conservative. Because we don't have much relative population we get outvoted by the cities and many feel that we pay a disproportionate percentage of taxes to pay for internal improvements in the more populated regions.

Some things just never go away.

Southern Oregon and Northern California want to secede from their respective states and join to form the new state of Jefferson (which, BTW, had been proposed as a state name in the past: Colorado I think was one such).

Our collective region differs from the rest of the state in that we are more rural and, generally, more politically conservative. Because we don't have much relative population we get outvoted by the cities and many feel that we pay a disproportionate percentage of taxes to pay for internal improvements in the more populated regions.

Some things just never go away.
Of course Cali occupies as much coast as the area from NY down to Georgia. Thanks for the insight.

Of course Cali occupies as much coast as the area from NY down to Georgia. Thanks for the insight.

You are welcome. The whole Jefferson thing is sort of a joke, really, although there are some hard corps types who really believe it's a possibility. Our NPR affiliate calls itself Jefferson Public Radio.

The Louisiana immigrant matrix is fascinating.

Many of the Louisiana immigrant groups around the New Orleans area seem to have one thing in common--they were fishermen in their home countries. Even today, people in South Louisiana often grow up on the water.

I think I've brought this up previously, there's a website, one of my all-time favorites where it's like poking around in a crowded, classy flea market. You just never know what you'll find and there's never enough time to investigate all the promising stuff in corners. Since it's an area much settled by recent immigrants finding their way in to work mines, canals and RR's, you tend to see a lot of non-English names in the local Civil War rosters. What's VERY interesting is that a lot of names taken to be German just are not- Swiss, Alsace, French- some not distantly arrived.

It's not a ' slick' website, which to me makes it easier to navigate. One man is responsible for the entire thing, staggering amount of information for one person to have pulled off. The name may imply it's merely one town, but it pulls from the entire area, really.
http://schuylkillhavenhistory.com/

One entire section is on the Civil War, with GAR information, newspaper accounts, etc. Very cool. When I have time, will poke around to look for information but thought perhaps to leave the link here in case anyone might wish to look into their immigrant ancestor in Schuylkill County, in the Civil War. There'd be a chance he's in there.

I think I've brought this up previously, there's a website, one of my all-time favorites where it's like poking around in a crowded, classy flea market. You just never know what you'll find and there's never enough time to investigate all the promising stuff in corners. Since it's an area much settled by recent immigrants finding their way in to work mines, canals and RR's, you tend to see a lot of non-English names in the local Civil War rosters. What's VERY interesting is that a lot of names taken to be German just are not- Swiss, Alsace, French- some not distantly arrived.

It's not a ' slick' website, which to me makes it easier to navigate. One man is responsible for the entire thing, staggering amount of information for one person to have pulled off. The name may imply it's merely one town, but it pulls from the entire area, really.
http://schuylkillhavenhistory.com/

One entire section is on the Civil War, with GAR information, newspaper accounts, etc. Very cool. When I have time, will poke around to look for information but thought perhaps to leave the link here in case anyone might wish to look into their immigrant ancestor in Schuylkill County, in the Civil War. There'd be a chance he's in there.
Thanks. I will take a look at it.

Back