Introducing a New Forum on Immigration

You may recognize this photo of one of the cemeteries at Lafitte--it's been in a lot of movies.
Expired Image Removed

borabod1910census.jpg

1910 census of manila village
I assumed you meant that they were descended from Filipinos. I did not realize that a lot were born in the Philippines.

Apparently they continued to immigrate to the New Orleans area, where they became fishermen. Their houses on stilts were located close to the Islenos from the Canary Islands in both the St. Malo and Barataria areas; the Islenos also spoke Spanish. Although they fished and shrimped from the stilt houses, their wives and children lived in New Orleans, just outside the French Quarter.

In the ethnic mixing of New Orleans, the Filipinos were considered white and intermarried with other groups.

Last edited:
Apparently they continued to immigrate to the New Orleans area, where they became fishermen. Their houses on stilts were located close to the Islenos from the Canary Islands in both the St. Malo and Barataria areas; the Islenos also spoke Spanish. Although they fished and shrimped from the stilt houses, their wives and children lived in New Orleans, just outside the French Quarter.

In the ethnic mixing of New Orleans, the Filipinos were considered white and intermarried with other groups.
Thanks for tuning me in to this.

Interesting! In San Antonio the Canary Islanders were known as Los Canarios....it's a big deal if you're descended from them....a definite bragging right! I'll have to check to see if they have a Civil War presence.....

Nathanb, it seems like a million years ago, but I seem to remember being at a conference in San Antonio and having lunch along the River Walk at a restaurant that was called "Los Canarios." Mostly because the plates had these beautiful blue birds on them and I turned mine over to see where they were made--Portugal. But, seated at the table was the Governor's wife from New Mexico who happened to see my impolite actions and said, "I'm so glad you did that, I'd been wanting to....where are they from?"

Nathanb, it seems like a million years ago, but I seem to remember being at a conference in San Antonio and having lunch along the River Walk at a restaurant that was called "Los Canarios." Mostly because the plates had these beautiful blue birds on them and I turned mine over to see where they were made--Portugal. But, seated at the table was the Governor's wife from New Mexico who happened to see my impolite actions and said, "I'm so glad you did that, I'd been wanting to....where are they from?"
I live near a big Portuguese community in Mineola, NY and I think that I've seen those plates.

Great. Caught in the act. Why does that always happen? But yes, they make a big deal out of it. I never realized how much till the San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show Association got caught up in a "Old Guard" vs. "New Guard" struggle! Since they were a major donor of 4-H scholarships, it was a pretty tense deal for all of us! (I've had several kids get the biggie--$20,000 scholarships) Luckily, they managed to work together and no one stomped out in a snit. :smile:

I looked around about Civil War involvement by the Louisiana Islenos and some did volunteer for the Confederacy, but it's a little difficult to tell because there were plenty of other Spanish names, so hard to sort them out.

A little easier to find those Croatians from the New Orleans area community who served in the Slavonian Rifles of the Cazadores. Found someone who must have been an ancestor of someone my husband went to school with.

Last edited:
I looked around about Civil War involvement by the Louisiana Islenos and some did volunteer for the Confederacy, but it's a little difficult to tell because there were plenty of other Spanish names, so hard to sort them out.

A little easier to find those Croatians from the New Orleans area community who served in the Slavonian Rifles of the Cazadores. Found someone who must have been an ancestor of someone my husband went to school with.
The Louisiana immigrant matrix is fascinating.

I certainly hope you include the state of Jefferson !:D

In case you didn't notice, my good friend diane is from those parts. However, I'm just going to be frank and say there's not much hope for that bunch, and I doubt they would remember more than---well, let's just say a butterfly (or goldfish) can carry a grudge longer. (PS.....I am most decidedly a secondary teacher; unfortunately, right now, there is not another teacher on staff certified for 6th grade, which I had to certify for so I could teach Texas History to 7th grade. What a difference a year makes!-- I hope!)

In case you didn't notice, my good friend diane is from those parts. However, I'm just going to be frank and say there's not much hope for that bunch, and I doubt they would remember more than---well, let's just say a butterfly (or goldfish) can carry a grudge longer. (PS.....I am most decidedly a secondary teacher; unfortunately, right now, there is not another teacher on staff certified for 6th grade, which I had to certify for so I could teach Texas History to 7th grade. What a difference a year makes!-- I hope!)

Yes, I know Lt. Col. diane is from our 'state.' Although I am from Southern Oregon I am in Northern Jefferson. How's that for divided ?

'Twas only an attempt to make haha Ms. Nathan. I know all my states !

Yes, I know Lt. Col. diane is from our 'state.' Although I am from Southern Oregon I am in Northern Jefferson. How's that for divided ?

'Twas only an attempt to make haha Ms. Nathan. I know all my states !

I certainly hope so! Those sixth graders studied them for most of last semester and still can't name all 50. Or remember what that big river is in the middle. Sheesh. I was told several years ago I'd have to retire when I got this class. Actually, my daughter told me that after subbing for them a couple of days. You know, she may be right.

It's been a (*&^ of a week.

Back