Interior plan of the blockade runners?

Lisa Murphy

Corporal
1550839197648.png

Image credit: https://www.minecreek.info/blockade-runners/confederate-blockade-runner-186165.html

Hello,
I am looking for details on the interior layout/plan of the civil war blockade runners, specifically the sleek, fast steamers built on the Clyde River starting in the second year of the war. (An example being the Will o' the Wisp). I have searched and searched in vain. There are wonderful reproductions of the outside (including the FLICKR photos posted by on this forum), and a brief discussion of the possible inside details/plans on the blogsite "Dead Confederates", a post by Andy Hall in 2011. Does anyone know where one might find the plans for such boats? I greatly greatly appreciate your help.
Lisa Murphy

Ps -- looking for a VERY fun read? Consider reading Running the Blockade: A Personal Narrative of Adventures, Risks, and Escapes During the American Civil War by Thomas E. Taylor. Thrilling, and full of delightful 19th century swagger and bravado. Man, those guys knew how to have a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome! Glad you've joined us. I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I'm sure someone will be able to. :smile:

Hello,
I am looking for details on the interior layout/plan of the civil war blockade runners, specifically the sleek, fast steamers built on the Clyde River starting in the second year of the war. (An example being the Will o' the Wisp). I have searched and searched in vain. There are wonderful reproductions of the outside (including the FLICKR photos posted by on this forum), and a brief discussion of the possible inside details/plans on the blogsite "Dead Confederates", a post by Andy Hall in 2011. Does anyone know where one might find the plans for such boats? I greatly greatly appreciate your help.
Lisa Murphy

Ps -- looking for a VERY fun read? Consider reading Running the Blockade: A Personal Narrative of Adventures, Risks, and Escapes During the American Civil War by Thomas E. Taylor. Thrilling, and full of delightful 19th century swagger and bravado. Man, those guys knew how to have a good time.
Post all your nautical questions on the Naval Forum. If they don't know then nobody knows.
Leftyhunter

Thanks for all of the generous welcomes, and the excellent suggestion that I post on the Naval Forum. Will do. And yes, I mean the interior plans of the ships themselves: where was stowage, crew's quarters, captain, supercargo and pilot quarters, coal bunker, hold... etc. ? Will put this on the naval forum. And again, thanks for the warm welcome! Lisa

Clydebuilt. Great! Thanks. I can't tell, searching what little they will let me see of the inside of the book, if there are actual details about the boats themselves. This is billed as: "Using contemporary accounts and individual case studies, combined, "Clyde Built" presents a full and fascinating account of Scotland's involvement in the American Civil War Blockade." Written by respectably trained historians. Looks like I'll have to buy one to see what it contains... bummer. Always a shame when the author forgoes the "Look Inside" option on Amazon. But, likely worth 8 bucks.

Thanks! Lisa

Back