Uniforms Interesting Frockcoat Confederate?

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
il_794xN.1641438433_hkih.jpg

Saw this very interesting ambrotype for sale on Etsy for 7K.

Does anyone recognize the coat this guy is wearing?

I wonder why the fellow is described as a Confederate? Couldn't he easily have been a Union militia man or guerilla? Is there somethig about the frock coat that is distinctly Confederate?

I have to agree with @Bruce Vail, can't really say it's CS even though that is a BIG ole D guard but then again they are more than likely studio props. I blew up the photo and tried to clean it up enough to see the buttons but could not. Lets see what our uniform expert thinks paging @major bill

I do not really see anything that makes this Confederate over Union. His 8 button frock coat does not help much and neither does the hat.

What's interesting to me the most is the collar and cuffs he has.

Never seen a frock like this before.

Militia?

What type of revolver does he have?

Colt 1849 Pocket?

View attachment 336833

Saw this very interesting ambrotype for sale on Etsy for 7K.

Does anyone recognize the coat this guy is wearing?

I think it very likely that this is a Southern soldier, after blowing the picture up it is easy to see the colored cuff facing, that seem to match the collar, in addition the cuffs are non functional with the buttons in a peculiar placement. The buttons, instead of being sewn to the back crease (bottom cuff), they are positioned to be in the apex of the facing. The collar has a too wide gap in the front and the sleeves do not have the characteristic balloon at the elbow seen on Federal coats. The buttons do seem to be US generals service, but that does not mean anything. IMHO this is a homemade frock of an early war Southern soldier and I lean towards artillery.

Granted it could be a militia coat, but I am leaning 75%-25% that this is what it purports to be.

Back