Interesting Find While Researching Family Tree

Robtweb1

2nd Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
Annual Winner
While doing some family research, I came across a Confederate soldier who is not a blood relative, but an in-law. He was my oldest uncle's father-in-law.

James Brown (Big Jim) Walls of the 9th Tennessee infantry. Lived in LaGrange, TN. His photo shows him to be, in my opinion, the quintessential Confederate soldier.

Expired Image Removed

Great find. Why did they call him Big Jim?

I have no idea. My uncle and his wife both died when I was a kid and I don't recall anyone else in the family mentioning him. My uncle's generation are all gone now so there's no one to ask.

While doing some family research, I came across a Confederate soldier who is not a blood relative, but an in-law. He was my oldest uncle's father-in-law.

James Brown (Big Jim) Walls of the 9th Tennessee infantry. Lived in LaGrange, TN. His photo shows him to be, in my opinion, the quintessential Confederate soldier. Great Photo ! At Fold 3 there are only 2 file cards with the 9th infantry. Looks like he may have first enlisted for 12 months. He's listed at the NPS site in the 12th Tennessee ( Greene's Cavalry. ) He may have been paroled at Ft. Donelson or spent some time in prison. To me the hat looks like a cavalryman.

Expired Image Removed

I need to look in the two volume set of Tennesseans in the Civil War. It gives all the unit histories. What I do know is that the 9th and the 6th were consolidated early on, and were with the AOT til the surrender in North Carolina. I have all his file cards, so I'll look back through them and see if there's anything about the Cav.

Thanks for the info.

I need to look in the two volume set of Tennesseans in the Civil War. It gives all the unit histories. What I do know is that the 9th and the 6th were consolidated early on, and were with the AOT til the surrender in North Carolina. I have all his file cards, so I'll look back through them and see if there's anything about the Cav.

Thanks for the info.
I had a cousin of my Land families in North Carolina & Tennessee that served with a couple of his brothers in the 12th Tenn ( Greene's ) Calvary. They were from west Tennessee ( Shelby County ) One enlisted underage ( 15 ) in the 51st Tn. Infantry. The Federals found out how young he was when he was surrendered at Fort Donelson and paroled him home. He and his brothers later joined the 12th Cavalry. Thought it may have been a similar situation with your kinfolk. I looked at the Tennesseans in the Civil War set and the sixth & ninth Infantries weren't at Donelson but fought at Shiloh.

I went through Wall's index cards and he was indeed in both the 9th Tennessee Inf and the 12th Tennessee Cav.

Back