Inside the Angle 1882 Tipton Photo vs the Cyclorama vs Modern View

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
As some of you probably know, before French artist Paul Philippoteaux began his great Gettysburg Cyclorama in 1882, he interviewed countless veterans and commissioned photographer William Tipton to take a series of photographs creating a 360° view from the intended focal point of the painting near The Angle. The artist used the photos as a model and was careful to match details from the photos into the painting. To illustrate, I put Tipton's photo of the area inside The Angle together with the matching section of the Cyclorama shown below. For orientation, Tipton's camera is looking west from a platform on Hancock Avenue. The fence line running away from the camera terminates right at The Angle. I am also including a similar modern view thanks to google street view. The Codori farm appears in all three images at top left. The man on the horse as well as the man coming across the wall were placed there to provide perspective for the artist. I mentioned the artist's attention to detail, notice the furrowed ground in the photo is also seen in the painting. The activity depicted in the painting is a moment in time from the last few minutes of Pickett's Charge.
130706613_5053080098065764_7356085590858966338_o.jpg

Thank you for posting this, Greg. I am very impressed with the attention to detail that was given to the painting. Even the shape of the distant tree line and the placement of young trees in the fence row were closely observed and rendered.

Adding the artist's view to the before and after shots brings in a whole new dimension. This was a great idea. Maybe this could also be done with some Troiani or Kunstler paintings. In any event, keep posting the before and after photos.

Anyone notice that the color of the Codori barn changes in the modern view, and the "before" photo does not appear to show the three spires on the roof?

Adding the artist's view to the before and after shots brings in a whole new dimension. This was a great idea. Maybe this could also be done with some Troiani or Kunstler paintings. In any event, keep posting the before and after photos.

Anyone notice that the color of the Codori barn changes in the modern view, and the "before" photo does not appear to show the three spires on the roof?
Thanks for the comments. Yes, painting vs photo makes a great T&N, I've done that with many pieces by the artists you mentioned and more. Regarding the McPherson barn. The three spired barn wasn't built until 1883, the barn in the old photo and painting is the battle era barn.

Back