Inherited Civil War Collection from father, need help with cannon history/value

Has the look and size of a ship's signal gun, otherwise not intended for more than minimal defensive use against small boat pirates.

Be careful about the plate - I have one too, and mine's definitely a reproduction! Pieces of Presidential china from his and several other administrations have been reproduced for the collectables market by Franklin Mint and others.
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate any help I can get, I have some information but is limited from what I remember as a kid. My father bought this about in Louisiana about 20 years ago from a private party, My step mom while sifting thru some documents found who he purchased it from but after reaching out to him, I believe he may have some form of dementia and was unable to help me.

My father was an avid collector and historian of the civil war. He took the trip with my mom to pick it up from North Carolina. My father always had a dream to start his own museum and collected so forth. He was a Management consultant and wanted one day to be able to display his collection to everyone to see or perhaps franchise it out.

If I remember correctly, he told me that part of it was original and part was fabricated. I do not know which parts are or what even type of cannon it is, there are some markings but they are pretty worn down. They are two cannons he bought from him, one is on the carriage, the other is by it self. I did find a drawing that was sent to my dad from the seller. Again, the drawing I believe is for the smaller cannon. I also believe but not sure that the carriage and wheels or part of it is reproduction but not sure.

Any Help would be appreciated.

View attachment 315898

View attachment 315899

View attachment 315900

View attachment 315901

View attachment 315902

View attachment 315903

View attachment 315904

View attachment 315905

View attachment 315906

View attachment 315907

View attachment 315908

View attachment 315909

View attachment 315910

View attachment 315911

View attachment 315912

My father was a fellow in the company of Military Historians and a Historian and researcher. I have also inherited a large collection and own all of his research. A great source on relics and values is by a magazine called North South Trader based in culpepper va and they have a price guide as well as magazine featuring all kinds of relics.

Back