Infor on my ancestors military service

Capt7thWvCoA

Private
Hello everyone, I need a bit of help. I have a ancestor named George F Anderson. According to his grave he was a 1st my in the 51 vs milita. I'm trying to see if he has any other service info. Any help will be appreciated. He was born on Aug 12 , 1828 in Winchester va. Any help will be helpful.

"1st my in the 51 vs milita" ?

I'm guessing that you mean 1st Lt. in the 51st VA Militia. As indicated on Fold3 HERE, his service records are filed under "George W. Anderson". The 7 surviving pages of that service file have been digitized and are available on Fold3 HERE. If you don't have a subscription to Fold3, then there are some other ways to access it listed HERE. During COVID, the easiest may be to get a trial subscription. If you don't intend to continue it, then just be sure to cancel before it auto-renews.

Confederate pensions were issued by the state in which the veteran lived after the war, not the state for which he served. If he lived in Virginia and survived until at least 1888, then you'll find links to Confederate records in Virginia HERE. If he lived in another state after the war, then find that state(s) on the chart instead. The section for each state indicates the year in which they started offering pensions to Confederate veterans.

Last edited:
Records for George W. Anderson show he enlisted at Wytheville in July of 1861, was captured at Waynesboro in March of 1865 and sent to Fort Delaware. They say he was a resident of Wythe, VA, 6 feet tall with brown hair and blue eyes. Does that sound like it could be your ancestor?

Records for George W. Anderson show he enlisted at Wytheville in July of 1861, was captured at Waynesboro in March of 1865 and sent to Fort Delaware. They say he was a resident of Wythe, VA, 6 feet tall with brown hair and blue eyes. Does that sound like it could be your ancestor?

Anderson, George F.jpg

From what I've read , it could be him . I have to check again to make sure though.

Back