Info on Hatcher's Run/Battle of Dabney's Mill?

seanachai

Cadet
I am trying to find some info on the location of the officers quarters during the Battle of Dabney's Mill in which Brig. Gen. Pegram was killed. Also looking for websites/books that may have detailed information on the battle itself. I am finding references here and there but never detailed info. I know it may be wishful thinking, but if anyone has any ideas......let me know! :smile:

Seanachai

"To-day he is pleased with himself, with me, and with all the world; says if there was no such word as "fascinating" you would have to invent one to describe Hetty Cary."--Mary Boykin Chestnut's A Diary From Dixie--

I can't tell you which dugout, foxhole or fort or commandeered house/barn/chicken coop. I'm not even sure which group of officers you're thinking about. I have nothing to share but one suggestion: Cheat. Contact the Park Rangers at Petersburg National Battlefield Park. Ask them and they may be able to help you.

Seanachai -

You might also contact the Civil War Preservation Trust website. They've purchased a part of the battlefield. IIRC from my visit, there's a small monument to Pegram at the site.

Seanachi,

Seeing your quote about Hetty Cary (the future Mrs John Pegram), I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that you are interested in the place where the General and his wife had their quarters for the few weeks between their marriage and his death.

In her reminiscenses Mrs. Burton Harrison [Hetty's cousin, Constance Cary] wrote that "The newly married couple had gone directly to General Pegram's head-quarters, near Petersburg, where he was at the head of Early's division. Their new home was in a pleasant farm-house nine miles out of Petersburg, close to the line of General Pegram's command, near Hatcher's Run."

[Harrison, Recollections, Grave & Gay, p.203.]

I know this is vague, but hope it helps a little.

Bill

Seanachai,

I've been studying the Petersburg Campaign pretty intently for the last two years, and there is not a book focusing on the Battle of Hatcher's Run as far as I know. Unfortunately, there are a few other battles which do not have monographs, especially the Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road in late June 1864. I'm hoping that we'll see these eventually.

Back