In Warrenton, Va., the Mosby Museum illuminates the Gray Ghost

1566667684128.png

The museum is located in a small building behind the Mosby-Spillman House for which it serves as a Visitor Center with exhibits about Mosby's life.

Can anyone tell me with confidence that Mosby was not a bushwacker? I thought he was but now I am not so sure.....Grey Ghost - He must have been in uniform.

Can anyone tell me with confidence that Mosby was not a bushwacker? I thought he was but now I am not so sure.....Grey Ghost - He must have been in uniform.

I've been trying to do a little research on your question tonight. He is listed, in general, as one, but I would say, "it depends." The CSA passed a partisan rangers act and he fits into that. He was most definitely not the scalping, collecting ears, decapitation type that went on in the Missouri/Kansas area.

But I came across this very interesting tidbit about Benjamin Butler and Mosby on Wikipedia. First, I had no idea that Butler and Mosby ever met, never mind talked or listened to each other. Mosby was very educated and certainly understood differences of ideas and opinions on a wide range of topics. I would say one of his greatest gifts was he was teachable and flexible for whatever situation life held for him.

Virginia politics
On May 8, 1872, as covered by the Washington Star, Mosby personally thanked then-U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant for that document. Mosby also told Grant he believed vehemently that election of Horace Greeley (a long-time editor of the New York Tribune detested in the South) would be worse for the South because the men surrounding him were worse than those surrounding his old benefactor Grant. A few days later, Massachusetts Congressman Benjamin Butler presented an amnesty bill for former Confederates, as Mosby had suggested in that meeting, and soon President Grant signed it into law. After Greeley became the Democratic party's nominee in July, Mosby became Grant's campaign manager in Virginia, and an active Republican, although he also made sure the Republicans would not run a candidate against his friend and fellow Warrenton attorney Eppa Hunton, who campaigned and won as a Democrat.[51] In his autobiography Grant stated, "Since the close of the war, I have come to know Colonel Mosby personally and somewhat intimately. He is a different man entirely from what I supposed. ... He is able and thoroughly honest and truthful."[52]

In 2017, I called the Visitor Center in Warrenton to ask when Mosby's house might be open for tours. I was told that it was not. They were not able to get any volunteers to conduct such tours.

There's a thread about this on the Traveler's Companion forum, currently on page 9. The last post, made in August of that year, reported that not only was the house not open, but that the city of Warrenton was thinking about trying to sell it.

This thread seems to indicate that there is a little museum behind Mosby's house that has an exhibit devoted to him, but it does not say that the house is open for visitors.

If anyone knows for certain whether the house is or is not open in 2019, I hope they will post here and let everyone know. Otherwise, if anyone is thinking about visiting Warrenton and hopes to be able to tour the house, in addition to seeing the small exhibit, I'd advise checking with the visitors' center first.

Mosby came up the ranks from a private. His battalion had grown to brigade size, had war lasted longer most likely he would have been a Brig General. His and McNeil's were the last legally commissioned Partisan's from the ANV. Ever thing I've ever read shows him to be a very fair man. Sir Percy Wyndham called Mosby a "horse thief". Mosby retorted "the only horses he had ever taken had armed Union troopers on their backs"

Anyone know what style house this might be? The double inside chimney is different.
That style is generally referred to as Italianate and along with Gothic - and sometimes the two were mixed - were the most popular in the immediate antebellum years.

Back