IN THEIR OWN WORDS January 13

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
January 13, 1864
Diary Entry on Shortages and Relative’s Death
A woman staying in Camden County - Julia Johnson Fisher - wrote in her diary of the shortages caused by the war, and of the death of a relative because of sickness.
Rain–rain. There has been almost constant rain since the month came in. All have colds. We curl over the fire, eat heartily of hog and hominy three times a day. We have become so disgusted with the black muddy corn juice that is called coffee that we have resumed tea again. It is rather a bitter dose but has proved such a tonic for me that my allowance of food scarcely satisfies me. Fred is still dissatisfied with the lack of variety, but I think the lack of quantity is most to be feared. The boys draw rations, about a quart of rice and a pound of bacon for fifteen days. The poor soldiers who have no homes to go to are to be pitied. Our boys are now here on picket duty. Will be off in a few days. It costs them a great deal to live in camp–provisions are so high. Pork $1.50 per pound; Eggs $2.00 per dozen. Mr. Linn has got a part of the machinery out of the new mill, it looks melancholy to see it taken down, before it has had time to run. It was raised at a great expense and just ready for operation when the war put a stop to all business here. We are now beginning to plant the garden hoping to have something in the way of vegetables. We had very little last year, but fruit was unusually abundant. Every tree and bush being full–peaches and plums in the garden. Berries in profusion for miles around us. They afforded us good living for several weeks. A letter has reached us from Aug and Ophelia informing us of the death of Frank. Poor Frank! has ended his sorrowful life after a long sickness –dead a whole year before the tidings reached us. They write for us to go home. We are so desirous to go that we hardly know how to wait and yet we may be obliged to stay another year. This is the second letter that we have received during the last two years. Source: Julia Johnson Fisher, 1814-1885 Diary, 1864
January 13, 1863
A Georgia soldier stationed in Virginia wrote to his wife, telling her of his adventures moving from one location to another.
“…I am well worn out. … We started through the snow, wagons and all, and took it by foot across the mountains. … We had a good place to camp the first night, built a big fire, raked away the snow, and fared pretty well. The second night…Dave and I had to take it by ourselves. We camped right among the mountains on a steep mountain side. … I had all the cutting to do and after hard work, and Dave’s getting about fifty falls on the snow we got a fire, cooked our supper and tried to lay down to sleep. We had only one blanket apiece and it was so steep and rocky that we done but little sleeping. … The next day we crossed the mountains. The road was covered with snow and ice, and it was hard work getting the wagons over. … Early the next morning we come up with the Brigade, coming from Winchester on their way to this place. That was yesterday. We camped two miles from here last night. We got to a place where there was no snow hardly, built a large fire, lay down around it and slept soundly. …” Source: Jeffrey C. Lowe and Sam Hodges (eds.), Letters to Amanda: The Civil War Letters of Marion Hill Fitzpatrick, Army of Northern Virginia (Macon: Mercer University Press, 1998), pp. 110-111.
January 13, 1865
Floods in Eastern and Central Georgia
As if the people of eastern and central Georgia did not have enough problems in the wake of the March to the Sea, on this day a series of floods devastated much of the area.
Eliza Frances Andrews wrote in her diary of the floods - at least they had eased her fears of Yankee raiders.
“…The newspapers bring accounts of terrible floods all over the country. Three bridges are washed away on the Montgomery & West Point R.R., so that settles the question of going to Montgomery for the present. Our fears about the Yankees are quieted, too, there being none this side of the Altamaha, and the swamps impassable.” Source: Eliza Frances Andrews, The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl, 1864-1865 (New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1908), p. 68

50227051_1160220360799176_4348105490379571200_n.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/savannahmilitiacamp1657/photos/a.177067512447804/1160900307397848/?type=3&eid=ARDMEB27oJ6XUfMIF1pgfSjPdOwEtaf7rEOsENTz8XwcqdH9Vj9FnP-2Ak1bqcA0ZvImUkUS_uTja-Wv&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARB9-taIbHY8VgLw-jS3mTh1GL-WNjsDTh7rBUq0Ag_TnJJtuWC-7dBjUuz3x0Kn0IKP7Hy9QxwBZCLWcHIVo_wnkl7mcCMaY5D3ReDWJ07jAACN86hGNzIFUO3Gia62BzOvu75Iyf9R8SkAbuSgpSj6on0afzXm3JrUYFfcpsoX6A8PngL-xg9Ny8yXEbrGz6oifzesxSjRgWEb5jPCzWm26qyVE32FDrTX14d9T3P0HIrjgP7uAG88vunoTF4xu3TERmCaWV3hXdq4S9IiHdC2k66qvTgLXilXOjaFFV3DHRcYRat3oGTPwatJQgIr3WXLDecd-UZJJj4VsrSGemORBw&__tn__=EEHH-R

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!