IN THEIR OWN WORDS February 28

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
IN THEIR OWN WORDS

February 28, 1862
Diary Entry Showed Atlanta Hospitals Becoming Overcrowded

Even this early in the Civil War, Atlanta hospitals were becoming overcrowded, and other locations for housing the sick had to be found.
"... Our city is now full of sick soldiers, many of the large hotels and public buildings being appropriated as hospitals. Mrs. West proposed that we should go and see the soldiers and we went to one of the hospitals, but soon got enough of seeing such miserable beings as the sick soldiers are - dirty and ignorant as well as sick. One poor fellow died today, who in coming here passed within thirty miles of his wife, and prayed to be put out there that he might go home to die, but the rules of war would not permit, so he had to die among strangers... ." Source: Franklin M. Garrett, Atlanta and Environs: A Chronicle of Its People and Events (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1969 reprint of 1954 original volume), Vol. I, p. 531.
February 28, 1864
A Georgia soldier stationed in Virginia wrote home to his wife, telling her he was about to go a march, but his shoes were almost worn out. He was also glad to hear his son enjoyed the things he had sent him, and informed her he had no chance for a furlough soon.
"...My health is fine at this time and I am living just well enough, but it will not be so long, for we have orders to start back to Orange day after tomorrow morning. It will get me all over for I am nearly barefooted and there is no chance to draw any shoes...I am so glad Henry is proud of his pocket book and ring. You say I must get a furlough. There is no chance for me now and no trying to do unless I could furnish a recruit, and I see no chance for that. There are six or seven to go yet before it starts around the second time and then all will draw together I learn so any chance is a long ways off yet. ..." Source: Jeffrey C. Lowe and Sam Hodges (eds.), Letters to Amanda: The Civil War Letters of Marion Hill Fitzpatrick, Army of Northern Virginia (Macon: Mercer University Press, 1998), pp. 122-123.
February 28, 1864
A Georgia soldier stationed in Tennessee, but recently returned from furlough, wrote back to his wife, telling her of an acquaintance who had died, and that he wished he could have stayed with her longer, even if it meant getting disciplined by the army.
"...Dennis McClendon died the next day after he was wounded an was buried by our own men at our own Hospital. My Dear when I got hear I was in hopes when I got hear they would put me under arrest but they said my papers was all right an I wished I had stayed longer. if I ever get there again I will stay a while. I will try to get back as soon as I can I will do as I said one way or the other. ... I do not know how long we will stay here. My Dear everybody in this country is strong unionist we have no friends about here. ... there is a great deal of small pox about hear. our rations of meat is nothing I can put one days allowance of meat in my mouth at one time. ..." Source: Katherine S. Holland (ed.), Keep All My Letters: The Civil War Letters of Richard Henry Brooks, 51st Georgia Infantry (Macon: Mercer University Press, 2003), p. 113.
February 28, 1865
A Georgia soldier in North Carolina wrote his wife that he was getting over a skin disease, and was worried about her.
"...I have escaped some miserable weather & am also be being in a house very rapidly getting over this skin disease. I hope now by the end of this week I will again be fit for duty. With the exception of the skin my health is excellent & am perfectly well. The Yankees are in Lancaster Dist [South Carolina] & making their way toward Wilmington [North Carolina]. ... My precious one I have been thinking much of you & our precious little ones lately & have become very anxious to hear from you to know how you are getting along in Roswell. ... My mind is troubled to think that you may not be comfortable, or, actually suffering from want of necessaries of life. I wish so much I could hear from you. Nearly 4 weeks have gone by now since I left you in Roswell & it may be a long time yet before I can hear anything from you. Oh! that peace could be ours... Source: T.H. Galloway (ed.), Dear Old Roswell: Civil War Letters of the King Family of Roswell, Georgia (Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 2003), pp. 112-113.
53160393_1190790667742145_1556585320181399552_n.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)