Restricted "In their own words", contemporary documents on the creation and dedication of Confederate Memorials discussion thread

Philip Leigh

formerly Harvey Johnson
Souvenir Unveiling Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Richmond, Virginia May 30, 1894

This is exactly what it says on the cover, a souvenir booklet filled with art, ads, and a history of the monument. The booklet contains also poetry, photographs of those involved, and photos of other monuments.

The Confederate Soldiers' and Sailors Monument Association was organized in December 1887 by five men, and the stated purpose was as follows:

"'Resolved, That we do hereby organize ourselves into an association to be known as ' The Confederate Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Association.' The object of the Association is to raise money for the erection on Libby' s Hill, in this city, of a Monument to perpetuate the memory and deeds of the Private Soldiers and Sailors of the Confederate States.​

That's pretty straightforward. They went about raising funds and securing the location, and coordinating with the Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans. The design adopted as a model Pompey's Pillar near Alexandria Egypt, and the intention was for each of the 13 States of the CSA to each contribute a block of stone. The entire cost of the monument was nearly $30,000, which was a tremendous amount of money in that era. The work was carried on by the members of the Association, but the funding was a community project. The monument was a tribute to the dead, but also the still-living Confederate veterans.

There are hundreds of persons whose names we cannot record here who will look upon this completed shaft and derive quiet satisfaction from the knowledge they have of their own sacrifices made in order to contribute their share to the upraising of a dignified and enduring monument to the Confederate soldiers who have laid down their lives, and to those also who now await their call to the Great Assembly. The inscriptions on the Monument are purposely brief and simple, but yet comprehensive. Let him who looks upon this shaft seek the history of the men it memoriahzes in the many books which have come from the hearts of those who survived the downfall of their country.​

Robert E. Lee's farewell address to his army is included about halfway through the booklet, along with a photo of the Lee monument in Richmond (and I had no idea how large it was, but there is a man standing at the base which gives an idea of the scale of the Lee memorial.) This is followed by poetry, photos of Jackson and other CS leaders, and some pages of random facts. The drawing of the Great Seal of the Confederate States does not feature George Washington, interestingly, but some other soldier that I don't recognize. I've never seen this version before.

But their memories e'er shall remain for us.​
And their names, bright names, without stain for us;​
The glory they won shall not wane for us,​
In legend and lay​
Our heroes in Gray​
Shall forever live over again for us.​
Yes, I understand it is a big monument that makes those who argue that it should be put in a museum look pretty silly.

Back