In the market for a new unit

Yankee Brooke

Sergeant Major
So a few hours ago I was rejected by the group I was in the process of joining. We weren't really meshing well, for reasons, so it is what it is and not all that unexpected.

If anyone belongs to or knows of a group who wouldn't mind having a girl in ranks, I'd love to hear from you. Infantry preferred although I would be willing to do artillery or staff. Confederate preferred, but I'm open to being a Yankee too. Eastern theater is a must though, I couldn't get to many events outside of PA/Maryland/Virginia area.

Too bad you weren't a little bit more north. Our group has plenty of female soldiers, my Mom and sister, plus a couple others. There are also a few Reb groups in the area too that I've seen some females in the ranks.

You would be more then wellcome here... but it is a bit long to fly to Denmark.

Bill Minnixh... don't know him, but I easily found his FB profile and a few post he made... look like you did well to not join him.
(look like one of the people I really hate, using reenactment to promote his modern political opinions)

Bill Minnich and his group are considered to be the laughing stock of all of reenacting, so don't worry about it too much

I quickly got that impression. A lot of, too much if you ask me, talking down on other groups with him. Probably already talking bad about me, I heard a lot of that about other former members while I was there. I was upset at first, but looking back now, it appears I dodged a bullet.

Too bad you weren't a little bit more north. Our group has plenty of female soldiers, my Mom and sister, plus a couple others. There are also a few Reb groups in the area too that I've seen some females in the ranks.

How north are you?

You would be more then wellcome here... but it is a bit long to fly to Denmark.

Bill Minnixh... don't know him, but I easily found his FB profile and a few post he made... look like you did well to not join him.
(look like one of the people I really hate, using reenactment to promote his modern political opinions)

Yeah it's a bit of a haul lol.

Funny you say that, cause it's one of the reasons I'm not involved any longer. He tried to push his politics on me, and I wasn't having it. Religion was another dividing factor. He wants to create a think tank full of "yes men" who all think the same and have the exact same belief system as he does, which is not what reenacting is or should be about in my opinion.

Although he did put me in contact with a guy who needs people for his unit that he apparently had similar issues with in the past...

Thank you for that, I will check it out. :smile:

We are spread out from Buffalo to Rochester to about far east as Cortland. Most our events are in that area, however we have done some of the bigger national events and do a living history annually at Gettysburg.

I know our unit is looking for guys for the infantry and artillery as well. i know that you had came out to one event that i was out at Mullica Hill NJ. we do events in PA, MD, and NJ.

Reactions: WJC
I know our unit is looking for guys for the infantry and artillery as well. i know that you had came out to one event that i was out at Mullica Hill NJ. we do events in PA, MD, and NJ.

Yes, that's where I met him. In a weird coincidence, he sent me to Dave and Jesse(15th Georgia) who I believe fall in with you guys, and he was originally trying to "save" me from... I talked to Dave last night, and we definitely are on the same page, so I'll likely be joining them, as they're hurting for guys right now.

You're with the 37th NC right?

We are spread out from Buffalo to Rochester to about far east as Cortland. Most our events are in that area, however we have done some of the bigger national events and do a living history annually at Gettysburg.

That's a bit far from me. That drive to upstate is not a fun one. I'm in PA.

Yes, that's where I met him. In a weird coincidence, he sent me to Dave and Jesse(15th Georgia) who I believe fall in with you guys, and he was originally trying to "save" me from... I talked to Dave last night, and we definitely are on the same page, so I'll likely be joining them, as they're hurting for guys right now.

You're with the 37th NC right?
yeah im w/ the 37th NC, yeah every unit out there i had talked too had problems w/ that guy (longstreet).

yeah im w/ the 37th NC, yeah every unit out there i had talked too had problems w/ that guy (longstreet).

That's kinda what I'm gathering now. Dave had a lot of the same problems with him I did, from our chat last night. I'm glad I got away.

Yankee Brooke the only advice i have is make sure that Dave (15th Georgia) has insurance. From what i got at our meeting is that at some events you will not be allow to take the field.

I'll make sure he does. I didn't know insurance was a thing, but I'm not surprised by that knowledge...

No, no, no, no no. You definitely dodged a bullet. The last thing reenacting needs are more officers, especially Confederate officers. You can see them wandering imperiously around any event or battlefield, ignoring the tactical situation around them as if they were umpires in the NFL. An esteemed reenactor once named them the DODOs: that's "division of detatched officers." There are definitely other fish in the sea.

No, no, no, no no. You definitely dodged a bullet. The last thing reenacting needs are more officers, especially Confederate officers. You can see them wandering imperiously around any event or battlefield, ignoring the tactical situation around them as if they were umpires in the NFL. An esteemed reenactor once named them the DODOs: that's "division of detatched officers." There are definitely other fish in the sea.

Funny thing is, I never wanted to be an officer, least of all a staff officer. They just made it look fun, which it was, but still. I could have bought a dress if I just wanted to wander around events in period dress, camp, and tell stories. I want to shoot muskets and get dirty, sleep under the stars with no tent, that's why I decided to join the military side and not go civilian and dress and act like my actual gender. I originally wanted to be exactly what I'm going to be now, a plain old regular infantry soldier, heck that's still what I want to be.

Actually I wanted to be cavalry, but that's years away. Infantry will do for now. I'm actually more excited for this season than I was already with that group. I get to have real fun now!

Sorry to hear your first try failed! I sincerely hope you can find a unit that is the right fit!

Back