In the field - Kenesaw Mountain, Georgia

Barrycdog

Major
ON THIS DAY 150 Years Ago - Wednesday, October 5, 1864

In the field - Kenesaw Mountain, Georgia

Grant and Schofield are not here. I am giving local command to Stanley and Cox.
SPECIAL FIELD ORDERS, HDQRS. MIL. DIV. OF THE MISS., Numbers 84. In the Field, Kenesaw, GA

During the absence of the regular army commanders and the present operations of the army the senior officer present with each army will command it, viz, Major General D. S. Stanley will command the Army of the Cumberland and Brigadier General J. D. Cox the Army of the Ohio.
By order of Major General W. T. Sherman

I looked out at Allatoona from Kenesaw and saw signs of the battle. No news by signal from Allatoona. Heavy firing, indicating an assault and repulse. Occasional shots now, but too smoky to see signals. Can see the fields about Lost Mountain. No large force of rebels there. Can see Kilpatrick’s cavalry massed in a big field this side, but no skirmishing.

I sent a signal to Stanley:
Can see the fields about Lost Mountain; no large force of rebels there. Can see Kilpatrick’s cavalry massing in a big field this side, but no skirmishing. Let your right occupy Pine Hill and your left connect with Davis. Cox will be on your rights. Throw forward pickets on the Sandtown road. Take strong position and hold it.

I want to control the Sandtown road back to Allatoona, and, therefore, I want the right at Pine Top. Please select a line with that view, and send a staff officer to conduct General Davis to his position to-night. Let your line pursue a southeast course on the best ground you can find, using an old rebel parapet, if possible. Connect with General Howard, or rather General Howard will be instructed to connect with you.

I write to General Elliott:
Order Kilpatrick to Howard’s left, to report to Howard. Dispatch Garrard tonight to Allatoona, making a circuit to the right, and to learn if possible the state of affairs there. I think the place was assaulted today, but repulsed. The day was so hazy we could get but few messages. Corse is there with his DIVISION.

Elliott Replies:

I have scouted all the roads in my front, right and left. The Allatoona road appeared to be open; I sent the Fourth U. S. [Cavalry] to go as far as possible toward Allatoona. Captain McIntyre reports having corssed the creek beyond (I think Kemp’s Mill), drove pickets back to their camp, fresh earth breast-works, and felled trees; appearance of large camps in the direction of Lost Mountain, and the tracks of wagons and footmen, showing that a large force passed this morning toward Allatoona. I find parties of the enemy occupying our old line of works and on every road.

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, In the Field, near Marietta, October 5, 1864.
General ELLIOTT:
I have been up on Kenesaw all day watching the attack. Since it ceased we have a signal: O. K. Corse wounded. Our infantry can now present a strong front, and if fight we must, so be it. I want to establish communication with Allatoona, and have ordered Garrard up, but now I think a detachment will do, making a wide circuit; in that event, the balance should occupy some part of the Sandtown road north of Pine Hill. Stanley will occupy PIne Hill, and tomorrow I will move Cox well over on that road. Kilpatrick should go to the left and threaten Powder Springs to prevent the enemy sending more cavalry over on the railroad, between Marietta and the bridge. He should act in concert with Howard, who has the left, and is on the Marietta and Powder Springs road, near Mrs. Kolb’s. I will examine the whole line early in the morning but of all things communicate with Allatoona to let them know we are looking for them.
Yours,
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General. Commanding

BURNT HICKORY AND MARIETTA ROAD, October 5, 1864.

Major-General SHERMAN:
I am glad to hear such good accounts from Allatoona; have sent the squadron as ordered, or it was done by my assistant adjutant- general during my absence on Pine Hill, awaiging reply from you. I am satisfied that the enemy is or was to-day extended from Lost Mountain to Allatoona, finding him on every road, and all information tending that way. Kilpatrick withdrew from Dallas road to join Howard at Kolb’s, with orders to scout toward Powder Springs on Howard’s left. I saw telegraph dispatch from operator at Newman, October 4, to some general in Stevenson’s DIVISION, of Lee’s corps, camped yesterday north of Pine Hill, saying that on 1st of October the hardest fight of the campaign was fourth within three miles of Richmond, and battle still raging, but wires being down could give no particulars; also saw order dated October 4 from Major General C. L. Stevenson to some brigade commander, directing him to cover a certain distance from Dallas road and to build new works immediately if the old ones would not do. I am satisfied that Lee’s corps was in my front last night, and having captured representatives from Lee’s, Stewart’s, and Hardee’s corps, think the mass of Hood’s force is or was in our front. Ambulances were moving toward Lost Mountain this eveining. Garrard covers all roads from Stanley’s left to Dallas road, with strong picket on latter. The grass and young corn make pretty good feed for us, and we will try to do the best we can.
Respectfully, &c.,
W. L. ELLIOTT, Brigadier-General

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, In the Field, near Marietta, October 5, 1864.
General O. O. HOWARD,
I want you to select a line to connect on your right with General Stanley, and the left to cover Powder Springs road. I don’t care about you being out as far as Kolb’s. It may be the old rebel line this side is equally good, but you can select. I want to advance the right of our general line, General Cox, to the Sandtown road, and will put his left on General Stanley’s right, Pine Top Mountain, and his right forward as far as possible.
Yours, &c.,
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General, Commanding

Raum Reports From Allatoona:

We have won a great victory at Allatoona today. I am just from there. General Corse slightly wounded in cheek; Colonel Tourtellotte slightly in left thigh; Major Fisher also wounded. Our loss about 100 killed and 200 wounded. The enemy suffered very severely, and have retreated toward Dallas. The rebel surgeons have surrendered their hospitals. Lieutenant Amsden loses a leg, broken below knee.

PACE’S FERRY ROAD, October 5, 1864-5. 45 a. m.
General SHERMAN:
By working late last evening we got over our train, the head of my column resting on the Pace’s Ferry and Marietta road. We had to bridge a creek forty feet broad, which was filled by backwater from the Chattahoochee, swimming deep. The road along the Chattahoochee is not good, but we shall get along; the column is now starting. I can get no definite information of roads on right of railroads, but from my remembrance of what we learned when we were at Smyrna Station in July, I hope to get through.
J. C. COX, Brigadier-General

KENESAW, October 5, 1864-2 p. m.
General COX:
I have sent Colonel Warner to you to explain your position, which is to the front and right of Kenesaw, following the Big Shanty road about a mile, and from the base of the mountain to a fortified ridge, from which your overlook cleared ground very extensive. Leave your train near base of the mountain.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General

Colonel Taylor, superintendent of railroads, wants to take railroad iron from the railroads south and east of Atlanta, for the purpose of repairing break between Big Shanty and Allatoona. He is here short of rails. He also considers the removal of rails from the Cleveland and Dalton branch. Colonel Taylor will probably require twelve miles of rains above what he now has.
Expired Image Removed

Burnt Hickory Road - Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park

Back