In the face of cancel culture, Princeton professor offers course on Lincoln’s legacy

uaskme

2nd Lieutenant
I’ve read some, not all of Guelzo‘s works. He makes the statement that studying Lincoln might not stop his monuments from being toppled. Lincoln was a racist and a colonizer. He believed Native Americans should be removed and whites should settle their lands. Under today’s environment, that alone is enough to topple his monuments. He won’t recieve a get out of jail card because he was a Northerner. Lincoln should be studied and Guelzo is a great historian.

DanSBHawk

Captain
I’ve read some, not all of Guelzo‘s works. He makes the statement that studying Lincoln might not stop his monuments from being toppled. Lincoln was a racist and a colonizer. He believed Native Americans should be removed and whites should settle their lands. Under today’s environment, that alone is enough to topple his monuments. He won’t recieve a get out of jail card because he was a Northerner. Lincoln should be studied and Guelzo is a great historian.
From the article:

“I offer this course because I regard Lincoln as one of the genuinely admirable characters of our political history,” Professor Guelzo (above) told The College Fix via email. He said Lincoln is a rare American who fulfilled “the classical demands of republican statesmanship for persistence, humility, long-term thinking, resilience, persuasiveness and morally-excellent leadership.”​

uaskme

2nd Lieutenant
From the article:

“I offer this course because I regard Lincoln as one of the genuinely admirable characters of our political history,” Professor Guelzo (above) told The College Fix via email. He said Lincoln is a rare American who fulfilled “the classical demands of republican statesmanship for persistence, humility, long-term thinking, resilience, persuasiveness and morally-excellent leadership.”​
Doesn’t change his policy on Native Americans.

Guelzo also says Lincoln’s thinking was evolving to encompass Negro Civil Equality. Lincoln repeated said he wanted Blacks to have legal equality, however he thought Blacks should be given social and economic rights that a States majority White populations would extend to them. Thought it was a States issue. So this discounts Lincoln setting up the 14th and 15th A. Often said the Negro would be better off living away from Whites to enjoy those Equalities. Spring of 65 he tells the Negrophobic North Eastern States that they could restrict black immigration with Black Codes almost universally used in the mid west.

Lincoln was a Enlightened Liberal like Jefferson. He had similar Racial attitudes. One difference, Jefferson thought Blacks should be accepted in the Federal Territories. Lincoln most assuredly did not. Lincoln thought territ should be reserved for White Families. Which also included the removal of Native Americans.

Zack

Sergeant
Super misleading headline from The College Fix.

A small number of students at a completely different university (University of Wisconsin - Madison) started a petition to remove their Lincoln statue. Nothing mentioned about Princeton.

He's not facing down hordes of angry Princeton students to offer this course. No one seems to care that much. Guelzo stated he hopes his course will stop the removal of monuments.

"Civil War Historian Offers Course on Lincoln's Legacy" is a much better headline. Mountain out of a mole hill......

Super misleading headline from The College Fix.

A small number of students at a completely different university (University of Wisconsin - Madison) started a petition to remove their Lincoln statue. Nothing mentioned about Princeton.

He's not facing down hordes of angry Princeton students to offer this course. No one seems to care that much. Guelzo stated he hopes his course will stop the removal of monuments.

"Civil War Historian Offers Course on Lincoln's Legacy" is a much better headline. Mountain out of a mole hill......
A quick Google search has turned up at least 7 Lincoln statues that have been removed or vandalized around the Nation.

Statue Of Lincoln With Formerly Enslaved Man At His Feet Is Removed In Boston

Portland protesters tear down Roosevelt, Lincoln statues during ‘Day of Rage’

Paint thrown on Lincoln statue in Boise's Julia Davis Park

Lincoln statue at S.F. City Hall defaced amid debate over his legacy

After Englewood's Lincoln Bust Vandalized Again, Alderman Wants To Move It

Young Lincoln statue near Hoyt Lake vandalized

Vandals spray paint 'f*** law' on the Lincoln Memorial: Thug defaces DC landmark with red graffiti

The thing about Lincoln is that his thinking was not static. He changed as he learned from new experiences and as the situation around him changed. It's hard to say where that would have taken him and the country had he lived to complete his second term.
I would argue his thinking wasn't static because he was a realist instead of a moralizer.

Scott1967

First Sergeant
If anything Lincoln was precursor to the modern day politician he would promise heaven and earth and say what people wanted to hear to get elected but while in power his true nature would start to appear.

No other president had to deal with Civil War while also trying to run a fledgling economy that would become the worlds biggest.

Doesn’t change his policy on Native Americans.
Or any other president either before Lincoln or after Lincoln , In todays society its easy to judge because we have all the Luxuries , Education , And a more Liberal sense of ourselves.

Its ok for the Sioux to massacre hundreds of Pawnee including women and children but not ok to settle them in reservations and stop these atrocities from happing because some activists want to present one side of the story but ignore everything else.

Lincoln is in my opinion is your greatest president I find it disgusting and cowardly that anybody can deface his monuments and as per usual social media and ignorance is behind most of this.

Last edited:

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
If anything Lincoln was precursor to the modern day politician he would promise heaven and earth and say what people wanted to hear to get elected but while in power his true nature would start to appear.

No other president had to deal with Civil War while also trying to run a fledgling economy that would become the worlds biggest.

Or any other president either before Lincoln or after Lincoln , In todays society its easy to judge because we have all the Luxuries , Education , And a more Liberal sense of ourselves.

Its ok for the Sioux to massacre hundreds of Pawnee including women and children but not ok to settle them in reservations and stop these atrocities from happing because some activists want to present one side of the story but ignore everything else.

Lincoln is in my opinion is your greatest president I find it disgusting and cowardly that anybody can deface his monuments and as per usual social media and ignorance is behind most of this.

I have a quibble with your post in its reference to Lincoln trying "to run a fledgling economy."

Neither Lincoln nor any other US president of the 19th century made any effort to manage the national economy. It wasn't until the 20th century that any American president took on the responsibility to run the economy. Indeed, it was not until the 1913 passage of the Federal Reserve Act that the US even had a central bank worthy of the name. And it would take the Great Depression of the 1930s to convince most Americans that the government should be in the business of managing the economy at all.

That's not to say that 19th century presidents didn't have economic policies. Most of them supported a strong protective tariff (mostly to fend off the rapacious Brits), fought the rise of organized labor, and opposed any meaningful taxes on big business, but these were reactive stances taken on behalf of powerful constituencies, and can't really be described as part of a continuing effort to manage the economy.

So we gave the Sioux lands to the Pawnee as reparations?

It's rather false to equate anything the United States did to the Sioux as motivated by some altuism to the Pawnee ......as they were motivated by our own nationistic greed......they are rather unrelated.

One could likewise say the US fought wars for expansion and colonialism, then turns around and fights wars against other countries for attempting the same thing........