What is this? In search of info on brass eagle

LindaH

Cadet
Hello, I picked this up a few years back here in Montana and would appreciate any info about this brass eagle as i am unable to identify exactly what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You !
100_3971.JPG
100_3973.JPG
100_3974.JPG
100_3979.JPG
100_3976.JPG

Note the threaded hole in the bottom. Although I don't specifically recognize it, I'm pretty sure this is a decorative finial that would've been mounted on a mirror, clock or some similar case or piece of furniture. Welcome to the forums!

Thank you all for your input, by the style of the eagle i believe it to be very old, but who can say for certain what it was exactly.

I have to agree with James N. It is not a flag pole topper but was mounted on something with a flat back. Flag pole toppers were a full Eagle.
DSCN8616.JPG
DSCN8625.JPG

Welcome! Nice piece of Americana! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

Hello, I picked this up a few years back here in Montana and would appreciate any info about this brass eagle as i am unable to identify exactly what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You !View attachment 321634View attachment 321635View attachment 321636View attachment 321637View attachment 321638
On further consideration, I realized a similarity between the ARROWS on this piece and the official insignia for the companies of United States Indian Scouts ca. 1890: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/58102273_indian-wars-us-army-indian-scout-hat-insignia

"In 1890 the Scouts were authorized to wear the branch of service insignia of crossed arrows.[13] In 1942 the insignia was authorized to be worn by the 1st Special Service Force. As their traditions passed into the U.S. Army Special Forces, the crossed arrows became part of their insignia being authorized as branch of service insignia in 1984."

Considering that you're in Montana, I wondered if there might be a connection; for further information about the Indian Scouts:

Last edited:
Back