In Search Of A Model 1861 Or 1863 Springfield For Christmas

casekeatley

Cadet
Hello! New to the forum, just graduated from college and was hoping to find a Christmas present for myself. I am searching for something in the $800 to $1000 price range. I passed up an 1862 Springfield with bayonet in fairly good shape for $900 a couple days ago and don't want to miss out on another. Does anyone have anything available?

Hello! New to the forum, just graduated from college and was hoping to find a Christmas present for myself. I am searching for something in the $800 to $1000 price range. I passed up an 1862 Springfield with bayonet in fairly good shape for $900 a couple days ago and don't want to miss out on another. Does anyone have anything available?
I'm getting ready to sell an 1863 Springfield musket. You can see pictures of it if you search the Small Arms forum for 1863 Springfield Ramrod. Can someone tell me how to DM so everyone doesn't have to see this ? Thanks.

I'm getting ready to sell an 1863 Springfield musket. You can see pictures of it if you search the Small Arms forum for 1863 Springfield Ramrod. Can someone tell me how to DM so everyone doesn't have to see this ? Thanks.
I'm guessing you mean PM for private message. The envelope next to your name is what you want. Enter topic and who is to view it and go for it.

Welcome to CWT.

May I suggest that you postpone your purchase, at least for a while, and study the models you are interested in. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Several specific suggestions:
1. Search the past threads on this forum. You will find a wealth of information on virtually every weapon used in the Civil War, including much from who I feel confident in calling experts.

2. Buy a reference book or two. Those will be very helpful in spotting the little details on a gun that will help you determine if it is all original or made up of a bunch of various parts in the years after the war, or even worse, a fake.

3. Scan the various dealer websites (and there are many) for information. You can compare and learn as you do. It will also give you some idea of values and the factors that affect what you can expect to pay.

4. If you find a piece you are interested in, post it on this forum and get opinions from those who know before you make a purchase. You don't want to spend your hard-earned money on something that you will regret later.

Don't rush. There are plenty of Civil War muskets out there on the market, and you will enjoy the learning and searching.

Check the current posting. Someone has one for 1200. Worth a look one way or the other

Back