Grant In place of fanfare, a flag; in place of words, an image - Happy Birthday Ulysses S. Grant

!
8271762_f520[1].jpg

A Happy Birthday to the General-in-Chief!

Unfortunately this quote remains entirely unverified and without a reputable source. If someone has a reputable source please provide, but I have not found one despite extensive research. Of course I agree with the sentiment that he was a man of deep reflection and thought though.
Thanks for pointing that out. I will find another quote. There is no doubt he was a man of deep reflection. Thanks for pointing that out also.

Last edited:
I'd like to point out - in case anyone hadn't recognized this or figured it out - that these photos are essentially FAKES. Not like the one of Grant as a ca. 1902 general, but at least montages combining two or more studio photos of family members edited into one, a popular idea of the times. On the other hand, these are all "the real deal":

I have never seen this one before so thanks for sharing. I'm guessing this is meant to be Appomattox, but was Longstreet there?
Yes indeed. After Lee's surrender, Longstreet arrived at the McLean House, where Grant happily greeted him. He offered Longstreet a cigar and invited him to play a card game. Longstreet later told a reporter, "Why do men fight who were born to be brothers?...His whole greeting and conduct towards us was as though nothing had ever happened to mar our pleasant relations."

Source: Grant by Ron Chernow (2017).
Longstreet had finally recovered from the debilitating wound he suffered in the Wilderness and had resumed command of the First Corps in late winter or early spring of 1865. Until his death at Petersburg on April 2, 1865 A. P. Hill still commanded the Third Corps, while John B. Gordon commanded what was left of the Second Corps that had returned to Lee's army from the Shenandoah Valley. I believe after Hill's death William Mahone took over the Third Corps, and during the retreat there was a memorable conference on some blankets spread out on the ground between at least Lee, Longstreet, and Mahone in which they discussed the possibilities of disbanding the army in order to continue guerrilla warfare, which idea Lee of course rejected.

Last edited:
James N., is the pic in post #11 real? I have seen it many times and always thought it was.
The subjects are all "real" but if you'll look at the colored one you can see they're exactly the same poses, only arranged differently by the photo editor. Grant and the two children look like one photo, while Julia and the boy behind her appear to be another; where the "moving" eldest boy fits in, who knows?

Last edited:
When it came to his daughter, Nellie, Grant was quite protective. I have read that when she married Algernon Sartoris, in the White House in 1874, Grant was not wild about the match. Folks noticed that the president wasn't at the reception and found him in his daughter’s bedroom, face down, crying. Is this a true story @GrantCottage1885? If so, his concerns proved right since the marriage came to an end in 1883, although the couple had four children.

Last edited:
I have never seen this image before either James and I hope you will tell us more about it. I love those little corner images and I'd love to know what part of Grant's military career they represent, but I see the last one appears to be the parting of Grant and Lee at Appomattox. Thank you for sharing.
It's something I found online while searching for illustrations for the thread I made for the anniversary of Shiloh and I don't know anything definite about its origin. I'd bet that it was likely ca. 1868 Presidential campaign memorabilia. I've seen another very similar print with a slightly better-looking Ulysses. The little inserts in the corners are Fort Donelson, Vicksburg, and Appomattox, with the tented camp scene likely representing the Wilderness.

James N., do you have any knowledge about the Nellie story I questioned in post #34? If so, please chime in. @Cavalry Charger, please do the same.
I do believe Grant threw himself across her bed and wept. He appears to have felt a great sense of loss at the marriage and, most likely, departure of his only daughter. Indicative of a very close connection for sure, and I have often wondered if part of his sorrow was around the belief this young man would not truly care for his daughter. Every parent's worst nightmare. And no parent gets off scot-free it seems.

Is it true? The story seems to have gotten out there, I would say with some likely ring of truth to it, but I can't put my hand on a source right now. If nothing else, it's something I can imagine, even if I can't confirm.

I'd like to point out - in case anyone hadn't recognized this or figured it out - that these photos are essentially FAKES. Not like the one of Grant as a ca. 1902 general, but at least montages combining two or more studio photos of family members edited into one, a popular idea of the times. On the other hand, these are all "the real deal":
I wondered about that picture. Julia looked too small and the children did not look natural in the picture.

Back