In Pickett's Charge, a century of Southern history unfolds as the last Confederate soldier sets out

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
In Pickett's Charge, a century of Southern history unfolds as the last Confederate soldier sets out on a fantastical quest
Ain't Hell Meat Yet
by Emily Choate and Chapter16.org
January 30, 2014 Arts and Culture » Books

click to enlarge Expired Image Removed
  • Pickett's Charge
    By Charles McNair
    Livingston Press, 331 pages, $18.95
    Charles McNair will appear at Howlin' Books at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 30.
    Nearly everything about Charles McNair's novel Pickett's Charge is a bit of a stretch. For starters, Threadgill Pickett may be 114 years old, but his physical condition is sturdy enough. Threadgill believes he is the last surviving Confederate soldier. In the summer of 1964, he lies languishing in a rest home in Mobile, Ala., until a mysterious visitation by his long-dead twin brother Ben propels him toward a grand mission: Threadgill will travel to Bangor, Maine, and finish the war once and for all by killing the last Union soldier.
For the rest: http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashv...ut-on-a-fantastical-quest/Content?oid=4042744

Be aware, though it is a very humorous and often poignant book, you won't find much CW history involved, and it takes not so subtle jabs of some southerners who will take offense if they are wise enough to catch it and the overall theme of the book.
I recently purchased it and read it for what it is, and was a thoroughly entertaining read. It didn't change my worldview from whatever it may be, to another, but I don't think the author truly set out to do that either....so again, good story telling, good story..but not for everybody, though isn't that the case w/ all fiction?

Back