In 1863 When a Black Man Refused to be Whipped Was He a Murderer if He Killed His Former Enslaver?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
This cuts both ways. I read a story about black troops goading a woman, widowed and childless because of the war, into hanging herself. The incident happened because she had a mourning wreath on her door to commemorate the loss of her husband and sons.

When Lincoln was assassinated, she took the wreath down. In the process, she was told by passing black troops to put it up to honor Lincoln.
She refused and said it was there for her family lost. They bullied and badgered her and forced her to put it back up and threatened her if she took it sown.
In front of these soldiers, she hanged herself as they watched and laughed.

I guess that was sweet revenge too

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
This cuts both ways. I read a story about black troops goading a woman, widowed and childless because of the war, into hanging herself. The incident happened because she had a mourning wreath on her door to commemorate the loss of her husband and sons.

When Lincoln was assassinated, she took the wreath down. In the process, she was told by passing black troops to put it up to honor Lincoln.
She refused and said it was there for her family lost. They bullied and badgered her and forced her to put it back up and threatened her if she took it sown.
In front of these soldiers, she hanged herself as they watched and laughed.

I guess that was sweet revenge too
What's your source for this story?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)