Impressions Impression No. 1., Corporal, 12th VA Inf. Reg., 1864

Please excuse the modern background, as VA is in the midst of a winter storm.

This is my first (almost) completed impression since diving into the hobby, something that ive genuinely put a lot of time into.

As always, I am open to criticism. I am also waiting on some items to arrive.

Ill quickly brush over everything pictured.

This impression is set around late 1864, into early 1865. Think siege of Petersburg. The jacket is a fairly generic Shell (i think it might be a carolina...) As well as a pair of civilian trousers. (Im currently placing an order for a full RD3 uniform) 2 shirts, socks, and a wonderful pair of RD style brogans. Orange and white Nightcap i knitted myself. And of course, RD Kepi. (I know brass on headgear is uncommon, but the VA pin was a gift from my wife. Cant say no to that!)

A standard fork-tongue belt holds my cap box, bayonet, and a small utility knife. Union canteen,(lets say i picked it up off the battlefield, rather than i ordered the wrong one) A standard .58 cal. Cartridge box with tins and a tarred canvas Lukas Berg Richmond Depot Style box sling. (Im looking into purchasing a Full CS Richmond leathers kit, if anyone has a good recommendations, drop a comment.) I top my accoutrements off with an 1858 london armory 3-band boi, which has been appropriately dubbed, "Old Sore-Shoulders."

Blanket came from a weaver in gettysburg. Gum blanket i made myself w/ a 4x6 piece of canvas, reinforced grommet holes, and coated in vulcanized rubber (its flex-paint. Works like a charm.) Shelter half from C&C, whom have yet to disappoint me.

Tarred haversack, with all the essentials. I base my haversack after just drawing 3-days rations. I have sugar, coffee, and hardtack (made myself), as well as some seasonings for the campaign. (Working on my first attempt at salt-pork, ill update how that turned out later)

Aside from the basics, theres some miscellaneous items like my toiletries kit, journal, wallet, housewife, and 20 inert rounds packaged as would be issued, courtesy of the Jefferson Arsenal, who make excellent repro ammunition materials.

That about sums it up. Comments, critiques, and concerns down below! I look forward to everyones responses.

20210201_144057_(1).jpg

20210201_145225_(1).jpg

20210201_144003_(1).jpg

20210201_143817_(1).jpg

20210201_143923_(1).jpg

Looks good! There's several guys making really nice leather goods right now. I have a couple sets of CS acoutraments from Misouri Boot and Shoe that I really like. Robert Saye is making some nice stuff, in fact he was just offering some package sets recently for a good deal. Cary Davidson makes nice stuff. I have a set of Federal stuff from L D Hanning, he makes some really nice stuff but I like his Federal stuff a bit better than his CS stuff.

Looks good! There's several guys making really nice leather goods right now. I have a couple sets of CS acoutraments from Misouri Boot and Shoe that I really like. Robert Saye is making some nice stuff, in fact he was just offering some package sets recently for a good deal. Cary Davidson makes nice stuff. I have a set of Federal stuff from L D Hanning, he makes some really nice stuff but I like his Federal stuff a bit better than his CS stuff.

I did see Rob's package sets, i may look more into his products. I appreciate it my friend!

I did see Rob's package sets, i may look more into his products. I appreciate it my friend!
I haven't dealt with him myself but a buddy of mine recently got a set from him and was really happy with his work and got them fairly quickly for good quality stuff. I'm a big MB&S fan for CS stuff but it can be a long wait to get your order.

Nice! I have a generic jacket as well, with VA buttons(even though we're a NC unit lol) that's pretty close to an RD III jacket. It was used and cheap. Actually most of my gear is used, aside my haversack and canteen, one of my three shirts, and a slouch hat I rarely wear. I am buying a pair of jeans wool trousers new in the near future though, and I'm commissioning a new belt off my corporal.

Your kit is really nice! My only suggestion would be maybe get some gray trousers? Not necessary, of course.

It's a great start.

I'd recommend getting a Richmond jacket made from English Army Cloth if you're looking to do 64/65. That stuff started to come into use by '62 and was the predominant cloth being used by the ANV by mid to late 63.

The NC jacket for Virginia troops is actually a nice touch for like a March 65 impression though.

Hatbrass has kind of swung back to being more acceptable than previously thought.

If you're canteen is tin and not stainless steel, there may be a few things you can do to make it more like a refurbished Federal canteen from the Richmond Arsenal. Federal canteens in Confederate use were not battlefield pickups.

I'd unblouse the pants.

But really, not a bad start

That is true about the English Army cloth. Fortunately my jacket is made of something that looks pretty close(it at least has the bluish gray color), but I do notice a very high number of RD III style jackets made of jeans cloth and wools of varying colors, which would have been rare from my understanding.

Were you appointed a corporal in the unit you belong to? If you are not affiliated with a unit and fall in with some other unit, your corporals' rank might be seen as presumptuous. Members of some units are touchy that way.

It's a great start.

I'd recommend getting a Richmond jacket made from English Army Cloth if you're looking to do 64/65. That stuff started to come into use by '62 and was the predominant cloth being used by the ANV by mid to late 63.

The NC jacket for Virginia troops is actually a nice touch for like a March 65 impression though.

Hatbrass has kind of swung back to being more acceptable than previously thought.

If you're canteen is tin and not stainless steel, there may be a few things you can do to make it more like a refurbished Federal canteen from the Richmond Arsenal. Federal canteens in Confederate use were not battlefield pickups.

I'd unblouse the pants.

But really, not a bad start

Could you provide some insight on the refurbished fed canteens? I was not aware that RD refurbed them. Where can i find that information?

Also, I did previously at one point have a RD3 in EAC, but it was simply too small for me. If i can find an RD2 set in EAC, thats what i was planning on going with.

Thanks for your kind criticism

Were you appointed a corporal in the unit you belong to? If you are not affiliated with a unit and fall in with some other unit, your corporals' rank might be seen as presumptuous. Members of some units are touchy that way.

Haha yes and no. The jacket came with the corporal stripes, and i had yet to take them off when we took to the field for a minor event with the unit im involved in. So i was unceremoniously promoted to Brevet CPL, until elections solidify that position.

Back