Member Review Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait &Co., Limerick, Ireland by Frederick Adolphus

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
1582768114285.png

Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick Ireland
By Frederick R. Adolphus
$17.90 (http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/store.html)
ISBN 978-1-57747-153-0

Somehow I don't think this book is unknown to folks here at CWT, but in case it ain't here you go...

This book, is hands down one of the BEST if not the best resources for learning about a particular Confederate uniform. This book however, only covers those imported by the CSA from Ireland in late 1864 to early 1865. You guessed it, the "Peter Tait" jacket. More of this type of uniform survives than any other after the famous, and perhaps over represented at reenactments, Richmond Depot uniforms.

Some of y'all may be thinking "Who cares about uniforms? I'm interested in the war not clothes!" well my friend get ready for a lecture. You are missing out on one of the most important aspects of studying the war, one aspect essential to knowing it and is too frequently ignored or dismissed. If one is ignorant of Civil War uniforms, your ignorant of the war. That may sound harsh, but I'm blunt on such things, and I couldn't think of a nice way to put it. If your offended, my apologies, that wasn't my intention. One can't understand what those men on both sides looked like, went through and so on without researching this aspect. That goes for both sides. After all the excellent research in this book, and on Adolphus's website (he goes after every style he can here: http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/index.html ) shows so much important information after decades of research. Concerning this particular style of uniform and others made domestically, there is OVERWHELMING evidence the Confederate Armies weren't as ragged in 1865 as almost every standard Civil War history book says they were. They were probably better equipped and clothed in 1864-1865 than they were 1861-1863. Heresy you say? Well get a copy of this book, look at the man's website start seriously researching uniforms anywhere else and see for yourself what I'm on about.:D This book is an excellent place to start to learn this aspect of the war.

Speaking of the book and getting back to it and away from lecturing, this book is the product of years of research and I hope to God we get a second edition because since publishing this Fred found another Peter Tait jacket, and the first known Peter Tait trousers laying unrecognized (hint, hint, wink, wink from my lecture) in the old Museum of the Confederacy, who'd of thunk it. The book is a great insight into an often overlooked aspect of the war. In the book we have forwards by the author of Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown by Thomas Arliskas and the Godfather of Confederate uniform research and known to many, Les Jensen.

The book is not a long one, the text is top notch, and is full of every picture you need to know these jackets inside and out, and I can't think of anything bad to say about this book. I take that back, the book itself is put together horribly. Its a softcover, that doesn't last long before pages come loose and so forth. Something I have no doubt the we'll see remedied one day with his next book. (God I hope he puts more out!) But those things are minor inconveniences, the knowledge contained in the book is way more important than that.

If you haven't read this book (WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!!!!) grab a copy and give it a read. You won't be disappointed.

Michael Pepper
Coffeeville, Texas
"Rusk County Avengers" on CivilWarTalk

It is a great book and Fred has always shared his research and the research he has done on the AVC (Alabama Volunteer Corp) uniforms is top notch.

Everyone visit Fred's website if you havent. He has amassed an incredible amount of information on Confederate uniforms and also beutifully presents it as well. I cannot praise him enough and thank him for his assistance with my own personal research.

Last edited:
It is a great book and Fred has always shared his research and the research he has done on the AVC (Alabama Volunteer Corp) uniforms is top notch.

It was that article, that helped me figure out what uniform my GG-Grandfather was wearing in a long lost, and only in existence photo of him during the war. Fred is an amazing guy, his research is a resource more people should follow.

On another note, this book helped me figure out the exact uniform the same GG-Grandad wore home from Appomattox from my Dad's description of it when he wore it to keep warm one winter as a kid in the 60's. (Collar trim variant Peter Tait) I spent years trying to find that jacket, only to discover after my Dad's passing that the same jacket had been ripped apart for its cloth so my Dad's and other kids jeans could be patched. I bet that tricky old fart knew it too and laughed as I spent 12 years trying to locate it.

As I remember Fred Adolphus's reaction to that story was memorable when I told it to him after meeting him the first time.

Amazing the factory has remains. If I'm ever in Ireland, I reckon I need to bring some kersey and a pattern, and make a Tait jacket there.

Best bragging rights ever...

Back