I'm trying to find out if anyone might have an idea what this may be. I acquired it 60 years ago for $15.

I believe I can make out the tree trunk to the right of the hammer and the SC under tree. Enlarge and compare to attached photo

View attachment 418513
I can make out the SC stamp on the lockplate, behind the trigger on close up number 1 posted by @mrockwell when I zoom and enlarge it.

When I really, really want to see something, I squint and hold my breath.
But I can't see any Palmetto marks on that lockplate.
Let me see if I can zoom in and post some snips for you.

Lockplate, behind the trigger. The "C" is pretty easy to see left of the head of the bolt(?) or possibly left and lower than the head of the bolt?
1634335055409.png

Here's another darker image
1634335490144.png

And what looks like the "SC" if its below and left
1634335516392.png

Lockplate in front of the trigger
1634335264509.png

Last edited:
The American Society of Arms Collectors has a nice article on the Asa Waters 1842 muskets. I would post a link, but my tablet just forced me to install an update and now it does wonky things when I try to copy a link. In any case, you should be able to Google it.

FWIW, I think the marking in front of the hammer faintly resembles the eagle and US more than it faintly resembles the palmetto tree.

Interesting musket in any case!

Why are people this lucky? I´ve looked at antiques all my life and never got better than a $20 off deal!!! I grew up in a house built in 1871 and the only thing I ever found in the attic were my old toys! :wink: :bounce:
I brought a house long ago from an old couple and later found some old coins hidden in the ceiling beam of the basement. Some 100 to 150 years old. BUT my coworker hit pay dirt when he brought a house from an elderly couple. It had a toilet in the basement and hidden above in the ceiling was a space filled with a massive amount of Girlie/Nudie Magazines from the 1950s to 1980s. Guess the old man was doing more then taking a dump down there! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I used to own an old double barrel shotgun with the hammers on both sides of the locks. It used black powder shotshells. Marketed and sold by ACME. You could get them in any general store or order direct from Sears. Pretty much worthless as it was but full of novelty. When the Warner Bros. studios began producing the Merry Melodies series of the Road Runner animated cartoons, these vintage wall hangers became known as "coyote guns." Meep Meep and however you could spell out the sound of that bird's tongue popping in and out.....

I brought a house long ago from an old couple and later found some old coins hidden in the ceiling beam of the basement. Some 100 to 150 years old. BUT my coworker hit pay dirt when he brought a house from an elderly couple. It had a toilet in the basement and hidden above in the ceiling was a space filled with a massive amount of Girlie/Nudie Magazines from the 1950s to 1980s. Guess the old man was doing more then taking a dump down there! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
We actually found some hidden under the refrigerator in an apartment we once rented, but they were recent and I suspect were from the vacating tenant. :smile:

I once tried using that excuse, but my wife pointed out that the dates of the Playboy magazines were from months after we moved in.
:rofl:

That's exactly why women will always be better detectives than men !

I used to own an old double barrel shotgun with the hammers on both sides of the locks.

Although it was an antique, that was the first type of "real" shotgun my Dad let me fire when I was about nine years old.
He had been training me with a little .410 since I was around seven years old.
Interesting musket in any case!

Indeed !

Back