"I'm Dreaming of A White Christmas" - Vintage Snowmen

Snowmen are believed to date back to medieval times, having appeared in artwork dating back to 1380.

I'm not sure why, I would have thought it was a tradition of the fairly recent past. It very well could have been an even more historically distant past-time, we just have no record of it. So weird, the things that have been done all through-out the ages.

Mary Dillwyn (pictured below) was the daughter of Lewis Weston Dillwyn, a prominent Swansea industrialist, whose family was related through marriage to William Henry Fox Talbot who announced the discovery of photography in 1839.

Time never ceases to amaze and perplex me. Now seems so current and then seems so remote, a distant past. Beethoven died in 1827, just 12 years away from the discovery of photography. Wouldn't that be just freakishly weird if events aligned a bit different and we actually had a photograph of Beethoven? I'm not sure why my mind jumped to him, I was trying to think of someone well-known that died around that time and he popped into my mind.

For me at least, there always seems in my mind to be a huge chasm between the time before photography and then the civil-war era photography (like when it was became common in the 50's and after). There's really not many years in between. So many historical figures missed being able to be captured by photography by a spare couple decades or so. So all we have are paintings which seem so, so long ago; but it's really not.

So who wants a white Christmas? :dance:

Gosh, I wish for that here but I doubt it. The snow generally doesn't kick in until mid-January or so. The only thing I don't like about snow is the dangerous travel conditions, but I guess that's a pretty popular negative of it. Even then, I don't mind it too much since I've been capably driving in snow for a number of years now (but only would drive in it if I had to go to work); it's for other people that I would dislike it.

A thought occurred to me today to move Christmas to January some time. Now I never cared too much for January anyway--sorry for all those January birthdays out there!--and that would give way more time for people to prepare for Christmas, not to mention the chances for a white "Christmas" would be fantastically increased in many areas! Yet I expect that would cause quite an outrage, to move Christmas like that. So alas, I will have to hope every year that maybe, one Christmas down the road will eventually be a white one!

Back