Stonewall I'm a Yankee who admires Gen Jackson

ARW

Sergeant
DSCN8966 (640x477).jpg

Jackson at Manssass
Full disclosure I am a red Blooded Yankee. All my family branches and twigs can be traced back to the Pre Civil War North. I have 44 ancestors that fought for the North. Last year my son and I made a trip to Virginia and while there visited these Stonewall Jackson sites. As I said you need to admire the man. Hope you enjoy these photos.

DSCN9246 (640x469).jpg

DSCN9245 (640x480).jpg

Approximate area where Jackson was wounded at Chancellorsville.

DSCN9251 (480x640).jpg

Monument to Jackson's wounding at Chancellorsville.

DSCN9139 (640x480).jpg

Building where Jackson was taken to be treated.

DSCN9130 (640x480).jpg
DSCN9132 (640x480).jpg

Bedroom where he was treated and passed away.

DSCN9138 (640x480).jpg
DSCN9268 (640x480).jpg
DSCN9267 (640x481).jpg

Burial of his arm at the Jones Family Farm.

DSCN9266 (640x480).jpg
8 (640x427).jpg

These two items are at the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg PA.

9 (640x427).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos! Can you tell us what specific traits of Jackson's character you admire?
The easy answer is his ability to lead his men and his overall military capability. I think he was one of the best Generals on either side and like many wonder what might have changed if he had not died when he did. I always feel we have to view these men in a relationship to their 19th century world and not our 21st century views. He went against the law by teaching slaves to read and write and held religious meetings with many every Sunday. I would like to believe he was one of many who by that time were conflicted by the institution of slavery.

Notice under General Jackson’s bed is a device for tightening the strings on his bed. This is known to be the method of the day of “sleeping tight” which was the origin for the saying “sleep tight”. The Ranger there was very informative when we visited and informed us of this.
A66418DD-6DF6-4FB5-89AF-575C9B4D4601.jpeg

I too, admire him for his military abilities but not for what they were used for. As Grant said of Lee, "that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse.”

Notice under General Jackson’s bed is a device for tightening the strings on his bed. This is known to be the method of the day of “sleeping tight” which was the origin for the saying “sleep tight”. The Ranger there was very informative when we visited and informed us of this.View attachment 217784
Seems I learn something new everyday, Thanks that was great

When we toured his house in Lexington, VA, I was surprised to learn that he was a very accomplished gentleman. From what I had heard about his (lacking) teaching abilities (when he had explained something as being A, B and C and a student replied in his exam the thing was C, B and A, Jackson would not let him pass that exam and rated his answer as being wrong!) I always thought him a genius in the field, but a narrow minded, stubborn and strange man. But he was not. He had travelled to Europe in 1856 and as he was a man of considerable financial means (another surprise!) he obviously used them to broaden his knowledge. Fascinating how those two sides can be found in his personality. I must admit that, although @War Horse and @Bee had warmly recommended Robertson's biography, I bought it but it still sits on my shelf, waiting to be read… maybe my New Year's Resolution should be to take the time and read it this year!!

Thanks for sharing the photos and welcome from Germany!

Back