Restricted Illinois Monument at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park burned & vandalized

Story

2nd Lieutenant
A Civil War monument at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park was recently burned and vandalized. Now park rangers and a team of arson investigators are trying to find those responsible. Officials at the national park say someone broke onto the grounds overnight Thursday and tried to set the Illinois Monument ablaze. It is the park’s largest monument and one of the first erected on the grounds.

Vandals also carved a lewd image into the stone memorial, which sits atop Cheatham Hill on the south end of the park. They also burned several miniature American flags that visitors place throughout the park.

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/c...-battlefield-park/IQNLA7S4BFECDK2WJFJECZMPPM/

It'd be interesting to learn the collective IQs of the guilty party(ies), should they ever be caught.

Quaama

Sergeant
The thing is that even when there is ample evidence [including videos that clearly show such unlawful acts and those responsible] of people defacing, damaging and/or destroying civil war statues and monuments I have yet to be made aware of anyone being prosecuted let alone punished for such crimes.
Is there any known instance of anyone being prosecuted and punished by the courts?

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
The thing is that even when there is ample evidence [including videos that clearly show such unlawful acts and those responsible] of people defacing, damaging and/or destroying civil war statues and monuments I have yet to be made aware of anyone being prosecuted let alone punished for such crimes.
Is there any known instance of anyone being prosecuted and punished by the courts?
There is a problem with fraternity initiations stealing parts off monuments. Any such theft is investigated by the FBI, which can be quite a shock. The policy appears to be one of if the object is returned undamaged, there aren’t any severe consequences. If, however, the object is defaced or damaged it is quite another matter. I am aware of a damage claim of over $10,000 that was paid by alumni. A local relic dealer had his entire stock siezed & is doing time for midnight metal detecting raids on National Battlefields.

Last edited:

Lincoln56

Corporal
There is a problem with fraternity initiations stealing parts off monuments. Any such theft is investigated by the FBI, which can be quite a shock. The policy appears to be one of if the object is returned undamaged, there aren’t any severe consequences. If, however, the object is defaced or damaged it is quite another matter. I am aware of a damage claim of over $10,000 that was paid by alumni. A local relic dealer had his entire stock siezed & is doing time for midnight metal detecting raids on National Battlefields.
So it is a case of selective enforcement; identifying and punishing the "low hanging fruit" offenders that won't create outrage, anger, or rioting as opposed to not enforcing the written laws that pertain to defacing and destruction of this nature due to their political agenda.

Even though I wouldn't like it I'd have more respect if they openly admit they'll only enforce laws when they support their agenda.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
So it is a case of selective enforcement; identifying and punishing the "low hanging fruit" offenders that won't create outrage, anger, or rioting as opposed to not enforcing the written laws that pertain to defacing and destruction of this nature due to their political agenda.

Even though I wouldn't like it I'd have more respect if they openly admit they'll only enforce laws when they support their agenda.
That's exactly how I see it too (bold). There are many examples to pull from. Some relative to the topic, some not.

I've said it before, if you reward bad behavior, you're going to get more of it. Lack of enforcement is rewarding bad behavior. Selective enforcement = corruption.

Arrests made, bond posted but not sure if it has gone to court yet:

Accused of stealing Confederate monument, New Orleans tattoo shop owner declares innocence

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_ab4412c8-c3e8-11eb-84db-e341074d937f.html

Quaama

Sergeant

I read the article, a successful prosecution seems unlikely. Also, I understand that in that instance the item was recovered without damage [what about the other accused? link]

What about all the ones where there is clear video footage showing statues being damaged (some to the point of destruction)?

I agree wholeheartedly with other comments about 'selective enforcement. Fraternity initiation stunts are not on the same level as wilful damage and destruction.

I read the article, a successful prosecution seems unlikely. Also, I understand that in that instance the item was recovered without damage [what about the other accused? link]

What about all the ones where there is clear video footage showing statues being damaged (some to the point of destruction)?

I agree wholeheartedly with other comments about 'selective enforcement. Fraternity initiation stunts are not on the same level as wilful damage and destruction.
I'm in total agreement about the other incidents although the stealing of a Confederate "memorial" for ransom (extortion), the investigation and expenses incurred by police agencies in two different states as well as a $30,000 bond is indicative of something more than a fraternity stunt. The only reason he and his group were caught was because of a photo the newspapers printed of the suspect sitting in the Jefferson Davis Chair at the cemetery in Selma. It's quite possible the suspect has refused to "pimp out" the other members of his group, for the time being, and the boisterous posturing of his defense attorney means absolutely nothing - it's to be expected - that's what he gets paid for. As it gets closer to pretrial and trial and deals are offered, the suspect may sing a different tune.

Last edited: