Illinois "Austrian hats"?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Taken from Some Observation of an Illinois Soldier on His Uniforms and Equipment, 1961 by Ken Baumann published in the Journal of the Company of Military Historians, Summer 1996 issue.

"11 October: Drew new hats, we don't like them, they are grey with the sides turned up so they can be buttoned to the crown on each side, with a kink of beak in front. Austrian hats they call them."

"24 October: We bought red caps to wear instead of those Austrian hats."

The above is from the diary of George Carrington who was in the 11th Illinois Infantry Regiment. Any thoughts on exactly what the Austrian hats were?

Think he means something like a Austrian Jager hat so probably more similar to the second photo LoriAnn put. The Landwher style probably, the green jacketed one

Vs5onM8.jpg

th?id=OIP.8g_GR1TBDSqDIWx4BuQaoQC_Es&pid=15.1.jpg

The image in post # 4 shows the Pascal's Patent Cap (a.k.a. The Pennsylvania Cavalry Hat) and this was not what was being worn by the Illinois regiment. After a bit of study I have decided that what the quote in the OP was talking about was the Loomis or Herzog hat which was issued to some Illinois regiments early in the War.The Loomis or Herzog hat was somewhat similar to the Whipple cap. We have a thread on the Whipple cap.

Early in the War a few Havelock hats a.k.a. Improved Military Cap were produced by several firms. these usually are broken down into: The Whipple Cap/Hat, the Purinton and Ham Hat, The Loomis or Herzog Hat. The Pascal Hat. All Havelock hats are similar but all have major differences. The Loomis or Herzog Hat could button up on one or both sides and had a separate leather peak. The Purinton and Ham Hat, worn by New Hampshire regiments, also had a leather peak but did not button up on the sides. The Purinton and Ham Hats were also more "floppy" looking. The South also made a type of Whipple Cap which was similar to the Whipple Hat, but at this time I can not recall what they were called.

The Loomis Hat sides down.

havelock 2.png

The Loomis Hat both sides up.

havelock 3.jpg

Can someone help me with the name of the Whipple Hat made and worn in the Confederacy?

After giving it some thought i believe one type of Whipple Hat worn by the Confederates (not sure if it was made there) was known as the Excelsior Hat or alpine hat. My problem being that Excelsior of New York made brimmed hats and these New york hats were very popular in the South. Maybe a Confederate uniform expert can set me straight.

Back