Bermuda Hundred If you're looking for a good Bermuda Hundred discussion...

If you don't want to read all through that discussion we can carry it over here as well. The discussion started with discussing what the goals were of Butler for the campaign versus what Grant thought they were.

We talked about the union leadership in the Army of the James and how Butler, Gillmore and Smith resembled the Keystone Kops at times.

We talked about the Schiller and Robertson books on the campaigns which are the 2 major published works, that both came out within a 2 year window in the late 1980s.

We dabble slightly into what strategic options were available to Butler, and was he truly "corked up".

And we talked about Beauregard, Pickett and Whiting on the Confederate side and their pluses and minuses.

I also offered to travel around and take some pictures of anyone wanted to see a specific area since I grew up there and am in the area multiple times during the week.

I followed that discussion (or tried to), as I've been reading about the Overland Campaign. Also, I find Butler kind of an interesting character. Photos would be interesting -- key locations, surviving fortifications, that kind of thing?

Roy B.

I took this one today

20200806_171642.jpg

I followed that discussion (or tried to), as I've been reading about the Overland Campaign. Also, I find Butler kind of an interesting character. Photos would be interesting -- key locations, surviving fortifications, that kind of thing?

Roy B.

Roy I thought about doing that as a project on this forum and hope to get started on it soon.

Roy I thought about doing that as a project on this forum and hope to get started on it soon.

I like the idea of trying to correlate Civil War locations to the modern landscape, even in spite of the ravages of development. I've mentioned elsewhere that I live in Raleigh, NC. I was born and raised here, but only learned in the last couple of years that Gov Vance built a 4-5 mile ring of earthworks all around the city in 1863. Because of development, very little remains, but some of us are interested in developing some interpretive installations for key locations.

Roy B.

Ted Linton can help you create a virtual tour of Bermuda Hundred.

"ted linton"<[email protected]>,

The guy to go to for maps of that area is Scott Williams.

"scott williams"<[email protected]>,

Scott's friend Jerry Netherland is the greatest expert on the battles on Bermuda Hundred.

"GERALD NETHERLAND"<[email protected]>,

Sean Chick has written a soon-to-=be-published book on Bermuda Hundred with the assistance of Soctt, Jerry, and me.

<[email protected]>,

Glenn Robertson told me that he wrote his book to rescue the reputations of the three "B"s, Bragg, Butler and Beauregard. He does not think he succeeded.

bryce

Scott's friend Jerry Netherland is the greatest expert on the battles on Bermuda Hundred.

Sean Chick has written a soon-to-=be-published book on Bermuda Hundred with the assistance of Soctt, Jerry, and me.

<[email protected]>,

Glenn Robertson told me that he wrote his book to rescue the reputations of the three "B"s, Bragg, Butler and Beauregard. He does not think he succeeded.

bryce
Being a long time Butler collector, in my opinion, Glenn succeeded to offer up, or open the door, to a robust conversation albeit not timed the way he had hoped.

I think Napoleon himself would have failed at Bermuda Hundred given the two corps commanders assigned to the army of the james, Baldy Smith and Quincy Gilmore

<[email protected]>,

bryce

Beauregard definitely came off well in Robertson's book. Bragg came off ok, which I guess is an improvement. I still don't think much of Butler due to this campaign. The only defense I can mount and Robertson points it out early, is Butler's lack of field service especially with a force this size.

Bryce are you from or live in the area?

Back